Lead Cybersecurity Analyst, Platform Engineering & Development at Discover
The Discover Security Intelligence & Incident Response Team (SIIRT) is looking for qualified professionals to join our ranks. Comprised of several sub-teams, Discover’s SIIRT group oversees all information security detection, response, and intelligence efforts for the enterprise.
SIIRT is currently in search of a lead cybersecurity analyst to help launch our newest area, Security Platform Engineering & Development.
This new group will oversee the primary data, incident, and analytic platforms that form the backbone of our cybersecurity operations. In addition to designing, building and maintaining the platform, the Security Platform Engineering & Development group will work closely with other internal cybersecurity teams to develop new tools and methodologies for detecting and investigating security incidents. To achieve these goals, we have a world-class array of data-driven technologies at our disposal. We utilize an innovative blend of commercial and home-grown solutions to ensure the best possible tools are deployed to meet our analysts’ needs.
As we continue to build out our detective platforms and capabilities, we’re looking for new team members to join us in guarding our enterprise as the last and ultimate line of defense.
General responsibilities of all cybersecurity roles may include being an active participant in developing the cybersecurity roadmap, delivering secure systems, cyber applications, technical projects and regulatory and risk requirements. This includes the cybersecurity framework, program optimization, vulnerability remediation, metrics reporting, performance analysis and mitigation of operational risk in a high velocity culture. Requires high-level critical thinking to perform duties related to projects, compliance, metrics, assurance, vulnerabilities or threats.
- Oversee the primary data, incident, and analytic platforms for Discover’s Security Operations Center and related cybersecurity teams
- Partner with other members of the Security Platform Engineering & Development team to analyze new tools and technologies to empower our analysts and incident responders
- Full-lifecycle development and support of home-grown security tools and solutions
- Integration and upkeep of various datasets to ensure data streams are accessible and data quality is maintained
- Analysis, monitoring, and reporting of platform operational health and stability
- Creation of visualizations and telemetry to accurately depict operational status and increase situational awareness
- Maintaining documentation of tools, logic, policies, and procedures
- Serving as a lead on team projects and providing guidance to more junior team members
- Acting as a representative of the team for larger company projects and initiatives
- Identifies and evaluates potential vulnerabilities and drives the normalization, correlation, and integration of internal and subscription-threat intelligence source. Produces actionable intelligence in the form of reports, notifications, alerts, and briefings. Develops mitigation and countermeasure strategies from collected threat intelligence. Recognizes security violations and take appropriate action to report each incident, as required. Analyzes the organization’s cyber defense procedures and configurations, and evaluates compliance with regulations and organizational directives.
- Performs in-depth analysis of security issues and/or vulnerabilities. Ensures compliance to audit, regulatory, and legal requirements. Builds and maintains effective relationships with peers and internal business partners. Creates effective controls to address security concerns.
- Maintains in-depth knowledge of security trends and threats. Designs and develops security solutions and processes consistent with business goals and risk tolerance. Provides subject matter expertise for supported Cybersecurity technologies.
- Develops metrics and new capabilities to ensure confidentiality, integrity, availability, authentication, and non-repudiation. Measures effectiveness of defense-in-depth architecture against known vulnerabilities. Engages in reporting risk remediation assurance and automation/integration initiatives, and collaborates with stakeholders, at all levels, to ensure remediation is validated, risk is mitigated, and findings are fully closed/resolved.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Security, Computer Science, Business Administration, Data Analytics, or related field
- 4+ years of experience in Information Security, Computer Science, Business Administration, Data Analytics, or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 6+ years of experience in Information Security, Computer Science, Business Administration, Data Analytics, or related field
- Experience with big data platforms (Splunk, Hadoop, Elastic stack, etc.)
- Previous experience creating and/or supporting tools and platforms for an operations-centric team
- Exceptional organizational abilities and attention to detail
- Experience in leading large-scale long-term projects
- The ability to think creatively to find elegant solutions to complex problems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- The desire to work both independently and collaboratively with a larger team
- A willingness to be challenged along with a strong appetite for learning
- Previous experience with big data analytics
- Hands-on experience with common security technologies (SIEM, IDS, Firewall, WAF, etc.)
- Experience with common computer forensic tools
- Knowledge of common security threats, attack vectors, vulnerabilities and exploits
- Working knowledge of common operating systems and basic endpoint security principles
- Knowledge of common networking services and protocols
- Knowledge of data science, data visualization, mathematics, and/or statistics
- Prior experience in a large-scale enterprise
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.