Lead ETL Software Developer at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
Discover is seeking a Lead ETL Software Developer to join our Recovery Systems team. Successful candidates will partner with our business partners to understand their needs, and build solutions using cutting edge technologies. You will provide lead level technical consulting to peer data engineers during design and development for highly complex and critical projects. Projects will include designing and developing data ingestion and processing/transformation frameworks leveraging SQL, Ab Initio, JBOSS and JAVA. Designs, develops and integrates systems for Discover's award-winning recovery processes by using Agile development methodologies to support existing and new product features.
This position will be supporting the recovery business and applications ( Debt Manager.) While utilizing such skill sets as SQL, Ab Initio, Java, etc.
What You’ll Do
As part of our Digital Payments technology domain, you’ll:
- Be part of Engineering team translating business and technology requirements into our ETL architecture.
- Collaborate with cross functional teams such as AWS cloud & platform engineering, DBAs and business teams.
- Design and develop real-time and batch data ingestion.
- Develop data driven solutions utilizing current and next generation technologies to meet evolving business needs.
- Ability to quickly identify an opportunity and recommend possible technical solutions.
- Provide support for deployed applications.
- Provide subject matter expertise in the analysis, preparation of specifications and plans for the development of ETL processes.
- Ensure proper data governance policies are followed by implementing or validating Code Logic, Quality checks, classification, etc.
- Provide system support as part of a support rotation with other team members.
- Lead Agile-focused software development teams to help our organization drive towards emerging technologies. While primarily providing hands-on development work, you’ll also mentor junior-level software developers.
- Leverage your leadership skills to help shape our business and technology outcomes to meet customer and partner needs.
- Create and break-down product/platform efforts into successful execution-ready plans.
- Contribute to the developer experience by leveraging the latest industry technologies to enhance current solution patterns and define new ones.
How You’ll Do It
- Maintain application software and systems.
- Test and mitigate risks for all projects and releases
- Ensure quality code is delivered through continuous integration, development, and testing.
- Perform technical design, coding with test automation, support, and documentation of software application modifications.
- Deliver technology solutions that support business goals.
- Partner with product owners to understand business requirements, evaluate features, and translate application specifications into workable technical solutions.
- Support technical initiatives and provide team with input into best practices.
- Oversee and review development activities of highly-complex global teams, consisting of both full-time staff and contractors.
- Provide leadership and guidance to junior-level software developers to enhance their growth and help them achieve objectives.
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, business computer systems, or related technical field
- 6+ years of experience in software engineering or related field
- In lieu of degree, 8+ years of experience in software engineering or related field
Bonus Points If You Have:
- Experience working in a highly complex and scaled global technology organization
- Time spent working for an organization in either the financial services or technology space
- Experienced in Agile/Lean/SAFe methodologies.
- Experience with one of the ETL tools Abinitio, Informatica, Data Stage or Pentaho. Expert knowledge in Abintio preferred.
- Experience with AWS based solutions such as RDS, Lambda, Dynamodb, Snowflake, Redshift or S3 would be a plus.
- Experience with relational databases such as MySQL and expert skills in writing complicated SQL statements.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Experience within the financial industry a plus
- Very strong verbal and written skills, with a demonstrated ability to create presentations and persuasive papers.
- Ability to clearly articulate information or solution.
- 4+ years of experience of being a senior engineer among a team of equal or junior level developers
- Collaborative individual who excels in working within a team and with business partners and identify, develop and deliver innovative data solutions.
- Strong ability to build and leverage external relationships.
- Ability to work independently to complete final output of the research (white papers, concept decks, architectural diagrams).
- Ability to deliver presentations in a thorough and concise manner to a cross functional or senior level audience.
- Passionate learner who enjoys education through class room training and self-discovery on a variety of emerging technologies.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!