Lead Java Engineer at Clearcover
Our Value Proposition:
Clearcover is a venture-backed technology start-up disrupting the trillion dollar legacy insurance market. We’ve focused on building products that create confident, happy customers - and we’re flourishing. We believe in putting our people first, paying them well and working together to solve tough problems. If you’d like a high-growth opportunity with an award-winning company, let’s chat.
What will you do?
- Execute end-to-end software development and deployment in an agile environment
- Own and operate large sections of software and systems
- Guides design and delivery through influence and education
- Lead production monitoring and resolution impacts
- Influence work of multiple teams relating to overall engineering group objectives
- Provide technical guidance to other team members
- Coach and mentor other engineers
- Drive continuous process and technology improvements
- Partner with Product to spec out the technical aspects of a feature from inception through delivery
- Write acceptance, integration and unit tests
- Be involved and conduct architecture discussions when necessary
- Collaborate with other leads and engineers on various architecture discussions
- Participate in recruiting of candidates and improvement of the overall interview process
What do you have?
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or relevant work experience. MS preferred.
- Experience in software design and development
- JVM experience and openness to learn or previous experience with Kotlin
- Deep understanding of cloud computing principles and practices, experience with production applications in cloud environments. AWS and Kubernetes experience a plus.
- Proven expertise in agile software development
- The ability to anticipate technical issues and industry changes as well as circumvent through thoughtful architectural and design decisions.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to understand and explain technical issues to a non-technical audience
- Experience with monolithic applications, service oriented distributed applications and preferably experience breaking up the best parts of a monolith into services
- Production experience designing, building and testing web services and APIs
- Experience delivering and supporting Web based, Distributed and Multi-Tier architecture using (Ruby, Scala, Typescript, Node, Java, Kotlin, etc)
- Understanding and experience with functional programming a plus
- Strong knowledge of ReST, Service Oriented Architecture, OAuth, Basic Authentication and PCI.
- Ability to translate complex technical concepts into high-level designs and act as a subject matter expert in software design, architecture, implementation, deployment and support across our full platform.
- Proficient in SQL and relational database modeling
- Creativity, fearlessness and an unwavering commitment to putting the customer first
But wait, there’s more:
As a people-first company, your health and well-being is a priority at Clearcover. While we do offer medical (and cover the vast majority of the premium), dental, vision (and cover 100% of those premiums) and 401K (we contribute 3% even if you contribute nothing), we’ve curated a stack of perks and benefits that stretch beyond the expected. With over half of our employees remote to the Chicago HQ office, we paved the way for flexible work locations and continue to offer this flexibility. Our people also have access to unlimited vacation, monthly mental health workshops, discounted gym memberships, equity in the company and an annual bonus program. Plus, if Clearcover is available in your state, you could have access to an employee discount on auto-insurance! Excited to learn more? Complete the application below!
Clearcover is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.