Lead Mainframe Systems Engineer at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Under indirect direction, responsible for all activities related to system administration. Responsible for the installation, maintenance, configuration, and integrity of infrastructure hardware, and software. Implements operating system enhancements that will improve the reliability and performance of the system. Recognizes and troubleshoots problems with server hardware and applications software. Implements documented standards and procedures for system support. Requires senior-level knowledge of computer operations to meet the needs of our customers and business. Works on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Provide leadership in mainframe on-line and batch design with an emphasis on high availability design.
- Provide expertise in performance tuning and enhancements.
- Participate in a pager rotation to provide 24x7 support for all DFS production mainframe environments.
- Support a number of major applications (Development, testing, & production installation).
- Provide mainframe consulting services to infrastructure and application teams on project development.
- Research and implement new mainframe technologies to enhance existing infrastructure.
- Provides consultative services to infrastructure and application teams regarding project work, POCs, and/or troubleshooting exercises.
- Monitors the system hardware/software for performance degradation, connectivity issues, system events, and alerts. Updates and manages tickets through resolution with vendors and internal support groups. Tests, analyzes, performs actions and restores availability and services in a timely and accurate manner to eliminate/reduce application impact. Provides timely notifications to management/outage team and escalates tickets to appropriate internal and external management as needed.
- Plans and performs scheduled changes (patching, maintenance, deployment, decommission, configuration, performance tuning) for all hardware and software used to support the database infrastructure.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
Bachelor's Degree in Systems Administration, IT, or related field
4+ years of experience in Mainframe Engineering or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 8+ years of experience in Mainframe Engineering or related field
- Has competence in performance analysis, implementation, maintenance, and technical documentation.
- Must have familiarity with z/OS internals
- Excellent communication (oral and written), interpersonal, and organizational skills required.
- Remote – Must be able to attend meetings in person per DFS’s request
- Project and team leadership
- Reasonably stable work history and excellent work ethic are musts.
- Proficiency with the following software:
- z/OS version 2.1 or higher
- OMVS and Unix System Services for z/OS
- Omegamon XE
- IBM RMF
- CICS version 5 or higher
- CICS Explorer
- CICS Performance Anayzer
- DB2 version 11 or above
- Tivoli Workload Scheduler
- CICS Interdependency Analyzer
- WMQSeries version 9 or above
- IBM File Manager
- IBM Fault Analyzer
#LI-MF1 #Remote #BI-Remote
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.