Lead Platform Engineer
WE ARE OUTCOME ACTIVATORS
We are a health-tech company on a mission to activate the best health outcome possible for every person in the world. We solve hard problems - healthcare is a fragmented industry and we’re transforming it by creating an ecosystem through our technology platform that brings together all the players to collectively improve patient outcomes. Our team is entrepreneurial and thrives in ambiguity with a strong commitment to scrappy excellence to drive patient impact. We empower every Outcome Activator to own their decisions and outcomes in service to the mission, while also contributing to a collaborative environment that’s communally competitive.
With hubs in Chicago and NYC, we've been growing 100% YoY and will impact half a billion patient visits in 2017, as physicians, life science companies and patients adopt our technology platform to make better health decisions during the most critical moments at the point-of-care. With 200,000 physicians already utilizing our portfolio of 5 current products at their practices, we still bring a fresh outlook to our pursuits with humble invincibility, whether you’re new to the family or have been hustling with us since the beginning.
Join our family to activate good in the world.
WHO ARE YOU
You are a Software Engineering Lead with expertise in the implementation and design of software platforms, including infrastructure, methodology, process, and tool stack. You thrive in environments where you are focused writing performant code that supports enterprise-grade architecture. You enjoy the experience of writing software for scale and take ownership of the products that you contribute to. You understand the importance of understanding the context in which your software operates and can rationalize implementation details with the bigger picture. You’re seeking to drive tangible impact in your next career opportunity. You want to build things that matter.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- 80% of time spent in hands on development.
- Identification of technical debt. Resolution of performance and functional issues within the application architecture. Rebuilding of problem functionality.
- Responsible for stability and scalability of the Outcome Health platform. This encompasses business services and platform agnostic (mobile & web) application endpoints.
- Own and maintain product technical backlogs, prioritize technical debt, create and document technical requirements.
- Define and set development standards that are adopted across the Engineering Department. Promote and enforce ‘Definition of Done’ quality standards.
- Mentor Senior Individual Contributors, provide oversight of others’ work.
Education, Experience, & Skills Required:
- 3+ years in a Lead/Principal Developer role developing Enterprise-level applications is required
- 7+ years of professional software development
- 4+ years developing application services using Java is required
- 2+ years of developing applications using Ruby on Rails is required
- 2+ years creating APIs as products is required. An intimate knowledge of RESTful protocols is assumed
- 3+ years of working within AWS technologies to create cloud-based architecture is required
- Advanced degree (MSc) or equivalent industry experience
- Experience creating or utilizing Service Oriented Architectures
- Experience of event-driven architectures
Behaviors and Abilities Required:
- Actively research new technical innovations and trends with a view to their applicability in providing innovative solutions to business problems. Communicates learnings to the department.
- Skilled technologist, able to debate merits of applicable solutions to specific needs.
- Effective communicator and teacher, able to effect technological change through persuasion and collaboration.
- Technical evangelist within Outcome Health.
- Final point on the escalation path for technical issues. Can resolve most issues through the application of their own expertise and understands how to recruit additional help when required.
- Must be willing to travel to NYC up to 25%