Lead Quality Engineer at Clearcover
Clearcover is the smarter car insurance company. We use powerful technology to offer everyday drivers better coverage for less money. We’re proud to be one of the fastest growing startups in Chicago, and we’re currently looking to add a few more extraordinary people to our team.
As a Lead Quality Engineer, you will work with the Product and Engineering teams to deeply understand our technical products, business requirements and ensure they are being built with the highest quality. You will help us define and implement short and long term, scalable testing solutions and evangelize quality of our products across the teams.
What will you do?
- Collaborate closely with the Product and Engineering teams to develop technical and domain expertise. Apply it to solve testing challenges across the teams
- Guide teams in defining and refining test strategies and test plans for new and existing features
- Define and develop teams’ skills and capacity for functional and non-functional testing
- Bolster and improve existing test suites and solutions to increase deployment confidence and speed
- Research, implement and Improve testing tools and processes for our products and teams
- Participate in design, code and test case reviews and provide feedback to improve testability of our systems as well as quality of our code and tests
- Mentor and train quality engineers on various topics and lead improvement efforts defined for the short and long term
- Analyze defects and gaps in quality to determine how to improve our development process
- Lead root cause analysis, identify trends and corrective actions and work with product for prioritization
What do you have?
- 8+ years of experience testing modern web applications in an agile environment as an embedded
- 8+ years of experience testing APIs, both manually and programmatically
- Expertise in using business requirements to define test cases and testing activities from concept through implementation and deployment
- Experience in planning, organizing and implementing test data for our testing needs
- Experience in developing and maintaining automated tests and frameworks using open source tools and technologies and proven ability to scale those to multiple teams within engineering
- Experience with load and performance testing tools like JMeter, Gatling etc.
- Experience with version control and CI/CD tools like Jenkins, Codeship etc.
- Proven ability to mentor quality engineers and define quality standards across teams
- An instinct and understanding of where software might fail, and how to track down failures at various layers of an application stack
- Curiosity, attention to detail, customer focused mindset and passion for delivering business value through testing in a timely manner
- Excellent prioritization skills with an ability to multi-task and clear, concise communication
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or relevant work experience
Nice to haves:
- Ability to review unit and integration tests and use the information to balance holistic testing coverage and activities
- Experience working with integration and contract testing tools and frameworks such as PACT, Wiremock etc.
- Experience working with developer centric testing and monitoring tools such as Optimizely, DataDog etc.
What's in it for you?
- Unlimited vacation, we hire adults
- Equity for all employees, so you own a piece of the pie too
- Dental and Vision, we've got you covered 100%
- Medical, we cover 90% of your premium, 75% of your dependents and contribute to your HSA and HRA (cha-ching)
- We invest in your future by contributing 3% of your salary to a 401(K), even if you don't
- Come to work pre-taxed through our FSA commuter benefits
- and yes, we have unlimited LaCroix, beer, snacks and the occasional ice cream social