Lead Quality Engineer at Discover
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
The Lead, Quality Engineering will be responsible for leading Quality within a Program being implemented via SAFe methodologies, to ensure that quality is built in from the start. In collaboration with the Application Architects and Product Managers, this professional will assist in driving to deliver high quality products through governing adherence to defined standards, identifying opportunities for improvement and coaching teams to realize them.
- Assist in the provision of solutions for problem prevention through regular analysis of metrics to identify and assist in the implementation of improvements to defined processes and procedures.
- Manages quality/test challenges at the team level, providing guidance, training, technical support and where necessary mentoring individuals.
- Drive for quality, ensure Quality is built in from the start via establishing acceptance criteria, defining quality gates, staying abreast if new and emerging technologies and working with Senior Management to define and maintain a strategy.
- Participates in Program grooming to understand initiatives, technical features, and business features and groom them into a testable state
- Work with the SAFe Teams ensuring adherence to defined standards
- Provide day to day support to the Scrum & System Teams
- Actively contributes and participates in all Agile ceremonies such as iteration planning, feature refinement, story grooming, daily standups, and retrospective meetings.
- Takes necessary steps (prioritization, mentoring, and assistance) to enable the teams to be a high value, cross-functional, autonomous unit.
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
- Assists in the timely resolution of quality/test challenges at the team level, providing guidance, training, technical support, and where necessary, mentoring individuals.
- Sends the status report (Daily, Weekly, etc.) to the Test Manager. Reviews reports prepared by Testers.
- Prepares the agendas for meetings, for example, weekly team meeting etc. Frequent status-checks meetings with the team, communicates by means of chat/emails etc. Tracks and reports upon testing activities, including testing results, test case coverage, required resources, defects discovered, and their status, performance baselines, etc. Attends the regular test-team meetings.
- Leads, guides, and monitors the analysis, design, implementation, and execution of the test cases, test procedures, and test suites. Ensures content and structure of all testing documents/artifacts is documented and maintained. Assigns tasks to all testing team members and ensures that all of them have sufficient work in the project. Acts as the single point of contact between Development and Testers for iterations, testing, and deployment activities. Reviews System, Integration, and User Acceptance Tests prepared by testers. Ensures proper configuration management of the test artifacts produced and traceability of the tests to the requirements. Recognizes when test automation is appropriate and, if it is, plan the effort, select the tools, and ensure training of the team. As test execution approaches, makes sure the test environment is put into place before test execution and managed during test execution. Schedules the tests for execution and then monitors, measures, controls, and reports on the test progress, the product quality status, and the test results, adapting the test plan and compensating as needed to adjust to evolving conditions.
- Plans, monitors, and controls the testing activities and tasks. Provides input into the estimation of the testing effort. Prepares the software test plan. Analyzes requirements during the requirements analysis phase of projects. Keeps track of the requirements from the project and manages Change of Scope (COS). Schedules the project effort in conjunction with the PMO. Checks for timely delivery of project milestones. Arranges the hardware and software requirement for the test setup. Escalates the issues about project requirements (Software, Hardware, Resources) to the Project Manager/Test Manager. Identifies training requirements and forwards it to the Project Manager (Technical and Soft skills). Documents, implements, monitors, and enforces all processes and procedures for testing as per established standards defined by the organization.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or related field
- 2+ years of experience in leading software testing teams, utilizing Agile delivery methods within the Payments industry
- ISTQB Foundation
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 4+ years of experience in leading software testing teams, utilizing Agile delivery methods within the Payments industry
- ISTQB Intermediate Test Manager
- 2+ years of experience in a test lead role, preferably within Payments domain
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated, Team motivator and Team player
- Awareness of emerging trends in software engineering
- Belief that empowered individuals make great teammates
- Applied knowledge of Agile Scrum and SAFe.
- Solid understanding of Distributed application infrastructure.
- Exposure to modern software testing practices including but not restricted to Test Automation, Test First, TDD, ATDD and BDD.
Our Tech Stack:
- Jenkins, GitHub, Nexus, Chef, Ansible, Hygieia
- Horton Works, Spark, Storm, Kafka, Rabbit, Oracle
- PCF, Linux, AWS, VMware
- Cucumber, Java, JUnit
- CI/CD Pipeline Automation using Jenkins
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.