Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
Works on more complex, less clearly-defined projects under limited supervision. Applies a full understanding of established systems software development principles and best practices to analyze complex issues. Updates or modifies working methods in own role/work area without the benefit of defined procedures. The job is a specialized area of software engineering/programming focused on software that operates/controls computer hardware and provides a platform for running end user applications, which may include operating systems, device drivers, utilities, and software; development tools such as assemblers and compilers. Develops and/or modifies systems software for internal use, conducts requirements gathering and analysis, writes code using lower-level assembly languages and/or higher-level languages, and translates/compiles into machine language for use on specific hardware. Supports software testing, deployment, and maintenance activities by correcting programming errors and coding software enhancements.
Lead Software Engineers are expected to have an advanced level of the ServiceNow Platform and systems software development principles and best practices to independently resolve problems and make major changes to existing processes/systems.
- Designs and tests vended software and non-vended solutions.
- Consults with customer base to gather requirements for solution set.
- Works closely with staff for training and mentoring opportunities
- Supports and maintains software installations and hardware systems - lifecycle management, change management, request management and incident management.
- Works autonomously and with Associate/Software engineers to support and maintain products the team is responsible for by ensuring availability of all tools and completing customer requests
- Actively participates in agile team and ceremonies.
- Works with other product teams to complete project activities, such as Infrastructure, Architecture and Database teams.
- Adheres to regulatory, PDP, Change Management and Internet Department processes and standards, ensuring all projects are compliant.
- Document software and perform related duties as assigned or requested.
- Actively contribute to best practices to support a strong software architecture.
- Reduces occurrence of vulnerabilities through proper secure coding practices and having a "Security First" Mindset.
- Follows proper handling of sensitive data per security guidelines.
- Identifies and executes opportunities to leverage agile/iterative/lean processes to deliver projects faster.
- Proposes ideas to better position our applications to support future business and technology initiatives.
- Incorporates and supports new technology/frameworks to support our continuous integration efforts.
- Gathers requirements and builds automation/monitoring workflows to eliminate manual work and ensure availability of all applications
- Participates in rotational on call and pager activities
- Actively engages in continuous professional development plan
Qualifications You’ll Need:
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Information Security or Information Technology
- Minimum of 4+ years Vended Software Support, Operating Systems, Software Support, Networking, or related experience
- In lieu of degree, 6+ years Vended Software Support, Operating Systems, Software Support, Networking, or related experience
- 4 years of ServiceNow development experience, including Application UI, workflows, notifications, SLAs and Service Catalog forms
- Experience with design, development, deployment, and maintenance of secure integrations using REST, JSON, XML, HTTP, SOAP, OAuth, or OpenID Connect.
- Experience with IT integration services and reporting tools.
- Experience with RDBMS: MySQL/MariaDB, Postgres
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Advanced oral, written and presentation communications including the ability to present technical information in a way that non-technical audiences will understand
- Experience with multiple ServiceNow platform products desired
- Experience with Agile delivery methodologies
- Experience with ITIL methodology #LI-BG1 #Remote
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.