Lead Service Reliability Engineer
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
Looking to join a Technology team that has a relentless commitment to supporting diversity, driving enthusiasm and motivating employees to achieve their career aspirations? We hope this technology career opportunity establishes that connection for you. For 14 years, Discover has been recognized as a best place to work for information Technology professionals. If this opportunity is not a direct connection for you but might be a fit for someone else, share with a friend or colleague as your good deed for the day.
In our Payment Services Technology area, we are rapidly expanding our Service Reliability Engineering (SRE) team. You will be empowered (yes, empowered) to apply software engineering techniques and discipline to production operations and help us delivery the world’s greatest solutions. If you are the type of person that loves driving technology problem solving sessions; has a tireless passion to increase the resiliency and availability of software products serving the greatest Customers and Partners in the World; we believe our SRE opportunity will allow you to be the superstar of all superstars!
To be clear, the position is responsible for the provisioning, availability, performance, and end to end customer experience for our Payment Services platforms. You will also be deeply involved in system roadmap planning and release management activities as well. Overall, you will become a rock star subject matter expert on the operation of these world class core systems powering our great Fortune 300 Company (which really operates like a startup). Additionally you will promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
To be successful (and we know you can), you will need to have a strong understanding with work experience in cloud based and virtual system infrastructure and peripheral services including network, firewall, and database management. We also need you to understand the application development and quality assurance ends of the spectrum as you will need to interface with that crew as well.
Sounds awesome doesn’t it? We think so but we ultimately need you to make this a reality. You will be exposed to the latest technologies in the Industry while helping us create the next generation of Payment solutions (mobile payments, remote commerce, IoT payments, etc.). All cutting edge and you have the opportunity to be right in the middle of it. Motivated by leading your work vs. following a checklist, enjoy advocating for and driving change as well as inventing features or projects that solve a business challenge. Join our team. Do not hesitate as the naming rights to this team are still open to the early hires!!!
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or related field
- 5+ years’ experience in technology (Either Systems/Architecture or Infrastructure Services/Support)
- Solid communications skills to work with our business users and internal BT support teams
- Experience developing and documenting solutions, processes and issues (Word, PowerPoint, Visio, Excel) and be able to present and facilitate technical discussions
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 5+ yrs. experience working in a technology environment (preferably Agile)
- Ability to work on and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Extensive working knowledge of Linux/UNIX and write bash/shell scripts
- Understand the concepts of Continuous Delivery and Lean/Agile
- Skilled in task automation, continuous integration and delivery (test automation, release management, DevOps)
- Hands on experience working with Chef, Jenkins, Gradle, Nexus, Git, Application Dynamics, and SonarQube
- Familiar with Java and Python libraries
- Familiar with Rest API Data Services and GemFire memory databases
- Familiar with Message Bus (RabbitMQ)
- Familiar with cloud-based IaaS and PaaS solutions (AWS, Cloud Foundry)
- Perform trend analysis of system logs, application logs, history reports, audits, performance management data, et cetera. to identify performance issues and drive improvements to ensure optimal performance
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today!