Lead Software Developer – Digital Payments
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
The Digital Payments team is seeking Lead Software Engineers well versed in our technology stack and automation & optimization of platforms that supports our Digital Payments initiative.
In this position, you will be a leader in our Digital Payments technology domain. Your talents will allow you to contribute, if not shape, our Business and Technology outcomes. Always wanted to have your change agent voice heard? We love to listen. We want you to help create and break-down product/platform efforts into successful execution-ready plans. We need your talents to help ensure our outcomes are aligning to the needs of our Customers and Partners. Most rewarding, you will work with the leading mobile payment players in the world while actively contribute to the developer experience by enhancing current solution patterns and defining new ones. All cutting edge work leveraging the latest technologies in the industry.
- Ensure solutions properly address scalability, security and performance.
- Performs technical design, coding with test automation, support, and documentation of software application modifications.
- Participate in scrum ceremonies and help guide team members to appropriate solutions and ensure code is properly reviewed.
- Act as SME for scrum team and ensure that all team members deliver quality code to meet expectations of the business
- Develops and maintains complex API interfaces with a focus on user experience.
- Works with key stakeholders to design complex
- solutions and lead from inception to production.
- Develops and maintains back-end systems.
- Creates and maintains DevOps processes, application infrastructure, and utilizes cloud services (including database systems and models).
- Innovates on and advocates for best practices and improved team processes; mentors junior team members.
- Implement platform capabilities that will allow our applications to scale, be resilient and support 99.999% availability.Supports live systems to ensure business continuity
- Maintains application software and systems. Ensures all projects and releases are appropriately tested and risks are mitigated.
- Delivers technology solutions that support business goals. Partners with the product owner to understand business requirements, evaluates features, and translates application specifications into workable technical solutions.
- Supports technical initiatives and provides input into best practices to team.
- Oversees and reviews development activities of team members and contractors.
- Responsible for analyzing, modifying, and supporting application software. Ensures quality code is delivered through continuous integration, development, and testing. Performs technical design, coding with test automation, support, and documentation of software application modifications.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Business Computer Systems, or related technical field
6+ years of experience in Software Engineering or related field
In lieu of degree, 8+ years of experience in Software Engineering or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 8+ years of relevant hands-on software development experience
- Hands on experience with cloud platforms and technologies (Cloud Foundry preferred)
- Exposure to containers and orchestration platforms (i.e. Kubernetes, OpenShift, etc..)
- Experience working with automated build and continuous integration systems (Chef, Jenkins, Docker)
- Industry experience in Financial Services or other regulated industries
- Experience with framework and API design
- 2+ years Agile scrum experience, preferably using the SAFe methodology
- Java / J2EE, Spring, Spring boot, Spring cloud services, REST API programming
- Strong hands-on experience using Test Driven Development methodology.
- Have an understanding of messaging systems – Kafka, RabbitMQ and WMQ.
- Experience with test Automation frameworks such as Cucumber or Gherkin.
- Experience working with IDEs such as Eclipse, STS, IntelliJ
- Knowledge of security and encryption mechanisms.
- Team Leadership
- Passion for Learning
- Strong Collaborator
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.