Lead Software Developer at Discover (Chicago, IL or Remote)
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
Currently seeking an experienced software engineering professional to be part of the Discover Card Collections Value Stream. In this role, the individual will work in an agile environment utilizing the latest Discover technology platforms for continuous delivery. As a part of the team, you will be required to foster collaboration and provide thought leadership, while contributing to high-value Business delivery. The agile teams within the Collections Value Stream deliver technology solutions which support a wide range of Collections applications including Discover’s award-winning digital products and call center front-end applications. The developer role will work directly with product owners, scrum masters, testers, product managers and other technology areas to deliver Business solutions.
What You’ll Do
- Develop large scale customer facing web applications on Discover.com (big-browser and mobile) as well as web-based applications which support our call centers.
- Develop and maintain full stack solutions to fit business needs ― full stack solutions require one or more of the following: front-end (user interfaces), back-end (APIs), database and DevOps development.
- Work directly with business product owners to understand business requirements.
- Actively participate and contribute in all agile ceremonies such as iteration planning, story grooming, daily standups and retrospective meetings.
- Design solutions and lead them from inception to production.
- Deliver technology solutions that support Discover’s business strategic goals.
How You’ll Do It
- Develop and maintain complex front-ends focused on user experience.
- Develop and maintain back-end systems.
- Create and maintain DevOps processes, application infrastructure and utilize cloud services (including database systems and models).
- Innovate on and advocate for best practices and improved team processes including Test Driven Development and paired programming.
- Mentor junior team members.
- Support live systems to ensure business continuity.
- Provide technical leadership and direction to transform and increase team’s efficiency, automation and quality of its applications.
- Integrate software engineering best practices into team’s culture.
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in formation Technology, or related technical field
- 6+ years of experience in software engineering or related field
- In lieu of degree, 8+ years of experience in software engineering or related field
Bonus Points If You Have:
- Experience working in a highly complex and scaled global technology organization
- Time spent working for an organization in either the financial services or technology space
- Experience as part of an Agile engineering or development team
- Strong understanding of object-oriented principles with an ability to write clean code
- Strong experience working with a relational database
- Strong experience with CI/CD pipelines)
- Proven skills in high availability and scalability design, as well as performance monitoring
- Experience with relational databases such as MySQL or Postgres and understanding of columnar data stores such as Redshift or Snowflake
- Experience in working in a cloud environment such as AWS, GCP or Azure.
- Understanding of messaging systems like MQ, Rabbit MQ, Kafka, or Kinesis.
- Strong experience of developing multi-threaded and synchronization application
- Build secure web applications with user authentication
- understanding of software testing principles and methodologies
- Strong technical understanding of data architecture, data quality and related technologies
#BI-Remote #Remote # LI-LJ1
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.