Lead Software Engineer Full Stack at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
WHO WE ARE
Discover is more than a credit card. At its core, Discover is a software company. Our customers and Partners demand products/services that help them spend smarter and achieve a brighter financial future. These products/services are built and supported by our software teams. We have fun at work and live these values:
- One customer. The person using the product is who matters.
- Teams get it done. You won’t be sitting in a corner on your own – it’s a collective effort.
- Seek to understand. Listen first, ask why, and then reach a conclusion.
- Progress over perfection. Try new ideas and be comfortable with failing fast.
- No spectators. Expect to tackle tough problems and to challenge the status quo.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
People don’t solely rely on physical credit/debit cards anymore. They want digital payment options. Specifically, options on their phone or during secure digital checkout experiences (websites, apps, etc.). Why not join a team that is at the core of shaping the future of Payments? In this position, you will be a leader in our Digital Payments technology domain.
Your talents will allow you to contribute, if not shape, our Business and Technology outcomes. Always wanted to have your change agent voice heard? We love to listen. We want you to help create and break-down product/platform efforts into successful execution-ready plans. We need your talents to help ensure our outcomes are aligning to the needs of our Customers and Partners. Most rewarding, you will work with the leading mobile payment players in the world while actively contribute to the developer experience by enhancing current solution patterns and defining new ones. All cutting edge work leveraging the latest technologies in the industry
The Digital Payments team is seeking Lead Software Engineers well versed in our technology stack and automation & optimization of platforms that supports our Digital Payments initiative.
- Participate in scrum ceremonies and help guide team members to appropriate solutions and ensure code is properly reviewed.
- Supports technical initiatives and provides input into best practices to team.
- Responsible for analyzing, modifying, and supporting application software. Ensures quality code is delivered through continuous integration, development, and testing.
- Ensure solutions properly address scalability, security and performance.
- Performs technical design, coding with test automation, support, and documentation of software application modifications.
- Act as SME for scrum team and ensure that all team members deliver quality code to meet expectations of the business.
- Develops and maintains complex API interfaces with a focus on user experience.
- Works with key stakeholders to design complex solutions and lead from inception to production.
- Develops and maintains back-end systems.
- Creates and maintains DevOps processes, application infrastructure, and utilizes cloud services (including database systems and models).
- Innovates on and advocates for best practices and improved team processes; mentors junior team members.
- Implement platform capabilities that will allow our applications to scale, be resilient and support 99.999% availability.
- Supports live systems to ensure business continuity
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
• 5+ years of experience in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field
• In lieu of degree, 6+ years of experience in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 8+ years of relevant hands-on software development experience
- Hands on experience with cloud platforms and technologies (Cloud Foundry preferred)
- Exposure to containers and orchestration platforms (i.e. Kubernetes, OpenShift, etc..)
- Experience working with automated build and continuous integration systems (Chef, Jenkins, Docker)
- Industry experience in Financial Services or other regulated industries
- Experience with framework and API design
- 2+ years Agile scrum experience, preferably using the SAFe methodology
- Java / J2EE, Spring, Spring boot, Spring cloud services, REST API programming
- Strong hands-on experience using Test Driven Development methodology.
- Have an understanding of messaging systems – Kafka, RabbitMQ and WMQ.
- Experience with test Automation frameworks such as Cucumber or Gherkin.
- Experience working with IDEs such as Eclipse, STS, IntelliJ
- Knowledge of security and encryption mechanisms.
- Team Leadership
- Passion for Learning
- Strong Collaborator
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.