We are dscout. At our core, we are People Nerds. We empower our customers to meet the people who matter to them in the moments that matter most. Customer-obsessed companies and agencies like Salesforce, Sonos, Groupon, and Best Buy use dscout to build better products and services because of people like you. We are building a smart and driven team, and we would love for you to join us.
Our web platform is built on React.js frontend and Elixir backend tied together by GraphQL APIs. We make heavy use of PostgreSQL for our storage needs and we host our platform on Heroku. Another core part of our offering are two mobile apps - iOS and Android - that are written in Swift and Kotlin respectively. We also employ WebRTC, Twilio, and WebSockets for live video streaming and use Python for NLP and media processing.
Over ten years and 45K commits later, we've maintained a tidy code base that is well documented and battle tested by tens of thousands of users.
We’re looking for smart, creative, driven Software Engineers to build great software with us. You have years of experience in product development as an engineer, creating and launching new technologies and products, and you look to join a company where you can make an impact. You love to write code, and strive to make it better with each commit. You're an expert with cloud-based, SaaS-focused modern frontends, APIs, and don't mind working on the backend either. You are hands-on, self-directed, and feel at home in a fast-paced, collaborative, and agile environment. You also love to share your expertise, collaborate with and mentor others, and you thrive in a team-based environment.
If you are excited about the challenge of building an incredible product while also helping to mentor and build a great engineering team, we’d love to hear from you!
what you will do
- Be an active member of a cross-functional product development team that frequently interfaces with business stakeholders
- Communicate and drive improvement within and across teams as well as mentor other engineers
- Focus on frontend work, with some backend involvement
- Develop customer facing applications in a fast-paced agile development environment
- Be responsible for the technical quality of the team's product
- Work closely with the design team to deliver user-friendly and modern products
- Apply DevOps mindset to improve the Continuous Delivery pipeline and other operational aspects of our SaaS platform
- Mentor junior engineers and be open to mentorship from others
what you need to have
- 5+ years experience as a software engineer
- Desire and a track record of leading and mentoring engineers
- Expertise with React or a similar JS framework
- Experience with responsive design and implementation
- Experience with full stack architecture, as well as API design and implementation
- Familiarity with backend development (Ruby & Rails or Elixir is a plus)
- At home with Agile, DevOps, and CD
- Experience with cloud architectures - Heroku, AWS, or others
- Plus: entrepreneurial experience in a small business or startup
We do our best to write realistic, accurate job descriptions, but we also recognize that great talent comes in many forms and from many backgrounds. Not sure if you meet all of the above bullets? Please apply anyway!
Note: As a result of COVID-19, the dscout team has decided to work remotely for the time being. However, we are now interviewing, hiring, and onboarding remotely for all open roles! While our office is temporarily open for teammates who feel comfortable coming in, no current or future employees will be required to come back into our office at this time.
This position is open to candidates who are legally authorized to work in the United States and who will be located in the US by their start date.
what we provide
Here at dscout, we are a team of passionate research, sales, technical, marketing, design, success, and operations professionals. We are driven by the power of research—how in-context insights from real people can build products and services that are more people-centric. We value learning, sharing, and building. We deeply value being a diverse and inclusive team and company, and we are looking for team members who align with that belief. We are proud of what dscout is today and we are excited to build our future with you.
In addition to joining a smart and passionate team, you will get:
- A strong compensation package with bonus structure. Your success is tied to company success. We are all in this together.
- An incredible set of core benefits as well as a 401k with match, solid PTO policy, and generous company holidays. We are committed to supporting our team.
- Exposure to the inner workings of a growing company, including open, transparent communication within our team. You will know what is happening and why it matters.
- An education stipend. We are committed to helping build your future.
- A beautiful workspace along the Chicago Riverwalk, that is temporarily open for teammates who feel comfortable coming in and working from there. Read more about our new office space here!
dscout is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We do not discriminate based on identity- race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender identity and expression, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged or sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.