Lead Software Engineer
SteelSeries is looking for a lead software engineer to help develop world class gaming products. We are looking for someone that can make a huge impact on our product development, has experience developing desktop and/or web applications, and has a serious passion for technology and product development.
Why should you work here:
- Love what you do - This isn't some B2B app or SaaS targeted at an industry you have no real interest in. This is a consumer product for gamers and part of the gaming industry. If you are interested in consumer electronics, gaming, or something related - you will love it here.
- Many cool technical problems to solve - The software group is fairly small, but versatile. You may be writing frontend code one day, and writing firmware or device drivers the next.
- Make an impact - We are a small company, so if you like being able to make an impact on a daily basis - this is your place.
- Be part of Product Development - We are a flat organization and everyone has chances to see how consumer electronics products are built and what goes into bringing them to market.
What we are looking for:
- Experience leading software development teams
- Experience developing with one or more compiled languages (C, C++, Go, Java, C#, Objective-C, etc.)
- Experience with developing Consumer facing applications (Web, Desktop, or both)
- Experience with Agile development methodologies a plus
- Experience in software best practices like Test Driven Development and Continuous Integration
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience.
As a lead software engineer, you will be responsible for mentoring junior engineers, developing new features for our peripherals (headsets, mice, keyboards, and gamepads) and also our cross platform, consumer gaming software platform, the SteelSeries Engine (www.steelseries.com/engine). We are a small team and we have many cool, challenging problems to solve.
If you were here the last few months, you would have worked on:
- Launching the Arctis Pro line of headsets, Rival 600, Apex 750 TKL and other exciting products
- Adding Discord integration and GameSense support to SteelSeries headsets, keyboards, and mice
- Creating an audio visualizer app to control SteelSeries RGB devices
- Debating which is better: PUBG vs Fortnite
If you are here the next few months, you will:
- Enhancing Discord integration with SteelSeries headsets
- Adding GameSense support to one of today's most popular games
- Creating an Unreal Engine plugin for GameSense
- Add exciting software features to SteelSeries Engine 3
- Writing bare metal code for upcoming peripherals
- Play with and give feedback on unannounced super secret hardware products coming out next year
- Be part of the SteelSeries Overwatch team
SteelSeries makes high performance gaming gear used by the most demanding, top professional gamers worldwide and peripherals that provide superior quality and a competitive edge to gamers of all skill levels.
What originally began with two people who recognized the need for superior, high-quality/performance gaming gear that would give gamers a competitive edge, has grown into a global leader in gaming and entertainment gear sought after for their high performance capabilities.
Fast-forward to today, and we’ve come a long way since our first glass mouse pad. We have global offices in North America, Europe, and Asia, providing an integrated portfolio of products designed specifically for gaming.
- You are smart, inquisitive and can get stuff done.
- You want to make a huge impact and love pushing the boundaries of product development.
- You take pride in what you do and want to be part of that next great product sitting (hopefully) on the shelf at your local Best Buy.
- You’re accustomed to a small company environment including wearing many hats and managing many things at any given time
Don’t apply if:
- You require strict organizational structure.
- You don’t like change.
- You think having autonomy in the work place is a bad thing.
We offer competitive pay, great benefits and an awesome work place with people who love gaming and technology.
Sorry, we can’t do any visa sponsorship at this time. This position is located in our office in downtown Chicago.