Lead Software Engineer
Morningstar’s structured credit research and ratings subsidiary (MCR) is a Nationally Recognized Statistical Ratings Organization (NRSRO) that has earned a reputation for innovation and excellence in the structured finance market. This group aims to increase market transparency and provides the highest quality ratings through securities research, monitoring services, data, and technology solutions.
The Lead Engineer manage a development team that creates and maintain enterprise applications and functionality within the MCR group. The Lead Engineer will work closely with cross functional teams, QA teams and other development teams to ensure a timely and high-quality delivery. The team is looking for forward-thinking problem solvers who thrive in a fast-paced environment. The Lead is responsible in mentoring the team members, provide guidance and opportunities for the team members to expand their capabilities and skills. They will have to coordinate and work with the members in a global team. We are looking for an individual that can apply discipline, create solid software products and hold their team accountable for deliverables while providing visibility into the organization.
• Create, develop and maintain the software code base of MCR products working in an agile environment.
• The Lead also will lead the team to evolve software solutions that meet product functionality and quality needs with respect to functionality, performance, scalability, reliability, schedules and adherence to MCR goals and principles.
• Analyses and reviews system requirements. Uses requirement and other design documents to gain overall understanding of the functionality of the new or enhanced application.
• Participate actively in the design, architecture and build phases, to aim at producing high quality deliverables, working with existing architects where appropriate.
• Provide recommendations on product and development environment improvements.
• Determine team staffing and training needs.
• Review and maintain sprint tasks and issue tracking for products
• Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent.
• A minimum of 10 years’ experience working as a software developer with Java as the primary programming language, preferably in a Unix environment.
• At least 2+ years as a software Lead/Architect
• Experience working with large data sets optimizing performance
• Understanding of OLAP, OLTP, and Data Warehouse solutions and implementations specifically MS SQL, postgresql, and Amazon's RDS
• Distributed computing, with experience in cloud computing (Amazon Web Services platform and associated technologies)
• AWS Certifications a plus
• Object oriented design
• Analysis of algorithms
• Excellent self-study skills
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills