Lead Software Engineer at Goldstar Learning, Inc.
Want to make a real difference in education and have a blast doing it? There’s nothing more gratifying than providing a solution that truly helps educators impact student learning. Our web-based educational achievement tool, used by K-12 educators throughout the U.S., is doing just that. It’s a game-changer for teachers and they love it! We’ve just completed the first phase of a major modernization of our product and we’re looking for a Lead Software Engineer to keep our current code base in shape and to take us through the second phase and beyond. Our small, rapidly growing EdTech company is full of passionate, smart people who collaborate every day to empower educators to raise the level of student learning. Bring your enthusiasm and ideas and join our team to make an impact on student achievement.
We are looking for an on-site, hands-on leader who is involved with coding and code reviews; and manages process, quality, and project delivery. The ideal candidate will have an established background building web-based solutions, offer great communication skills, possess a track record of leading productive, happy development teams, and demonstrate an ability to deliver quality code in a high-performing environment.
...thrive on tackling challenging problems and have great troubleshooting abilities
...offer years of hands-on software development skills
...keep abreast of the latest technology developments and encourage your teams to think outside the box
...possess strong leadership qualities and a track record of delivering great solutions
...participate in solving engineering problems with your peers
...help the team set individual goals and tracking progress toward achieving them
- Expert level development experience required with an excellent understanding of the full software development stack
- Demonstrated experience with modern object-oriented programming and testing methodologies
- Apply best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and deployment
- Strong leadership skills and affinity for mentorship
- Effective problem-solving skills with the ability to support, diagnose, and resolve issues in a production environment
- Operate efficiently and effectively with minimal oversight
- All of our services are Dockerized
- We use Postgres and run it using AWS RDS
- We practice “infrastructure as code” using Terraform
- We use these AWS Services a lot: ECS, RDS, Lambda
Experience and Education
- 10+ years software development experience
- 3+ years of experience leading a team
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer, Computer Engineering, or related technical discipline
This position is full-time, on-site at our Chicago headquarters—steps away from public transportation in a fun, open loft concept environment in the River North neighborhood—just one block north of the Merchandise Mart’s 1871 tech hub.
Compensation and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience. Our company benefits include medical, dental, life and disability insurance, generous paid vacation and 401K with matching and immediate vesting, health care and dependent care FSA, and commuter benefits.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter along with salary requirements to [email protected], with the job name in the subject line.