Lead Software (Java) Developer
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
We are currently looking for a Lead Developer to assist with application development and software engineering as part of an agile scrum team. You will provide specialized expertise and applied knowledge on aspects of one area of Payment Services application development.
Responsible for analyzing, modifying, and supporting application software. Ensures quality code is delivered through continuous integration, development, and testing. Performs technical design, coding with test automation, support, and documentation of software application modifications.
- The successful candidate will have embraced an Agile mindset, and can demonstrate:
- Delivering working software frequently – ability to Innovate within a fast paced, frequent change environment
- Proactive communication – is able to build productive relationships across Business and Technology; actively seeks feedback and can effectively communicate complex concepts to different audiences
- Pays Continuous attention to technical excellence – values good design and puts quality at the heart of everything they do
- Values the art of simplicity – recognizes where to apply effort to meet tight business deadlines
- Improves relentlessly – reflects often on what they’re doing, and how they’re doing it; commits to improvement; encourages others to do the same
- Team player – trusts and respects others; focuses on delivering to team vs individual goals; is transparent and radiates out information; has courage to tackle the hard problems
- Maintains application software and systems. Ensures all projects and releases are appropriately tested and risks are mitigated.
- Delivers technology solutions that support business goals. Partners with the product owner to understand business requirements, evaluates features, and translates application specifications into workable technical solutions.
- Supports technical initiatives and provides input into best practices to team.
- Oversees and reviews development activities of team members and contractors.
- Core Java
- REST APIs
- JSON processing and validation
- Spring (some of core, integration, boot, batch and other libraries)
- UNIX/Linux (command line and shell scripting)
- Continuous Integration with Jenkins or similar
- Test Driven Development
- Design of APIs & components
- Working in distributed teams
- Working in Agile projects
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Business Computer Systems, or related technical field
- 6+ years of experience in Software Engineering or related field
- In lieu of degree, 8+ years of experience in Software Engineering or related field
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.