Lead UNIX Administrator
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people , and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
The responsibility of this role is to implement and maintain Unix/Linux server solutions meeting application technical, regulatory and risk requirements. Core competencies include, but are not limited to: Linux and AIX operating systems, x86 hypervisors, scripting/automation, and x86 hardware solutions. Implement Unix/Linux server technologies and maintain resilient support for next generation Unix/Linux systems to solve business challenges.
- Ensures Unix/Linux solution designs are implemented as required. Implements Unix/Linux capabilities using the appropriate methodologies and are consistent with organization level Unix/Linux architecture.
- Provides subject matter expertise across multiple Unix/Linux technologies. Assists with project implementation to ensure successful solution delivery.
- Assists in the integration of new Unix/Linux solutions. Applies service oriented Unix/Linux integration principles to meet the organization’s security, risk, and availability requirements. Makes recommendations that enable expeditious remediation to escalated incidents. Provide Level 2 support for multiple Unix/Linux platforms.
- Reviews and follows Unix/Linux technology roadmaps. Implements Unix/Linux solutions following designs for compliance to audit, regulatory, and legal requirements. Builds and maintains effective relationships with peers, internal business partners, and external vendors. Follows the Unix/Linux integration methodologies to be in compliance with controls and standards.
- Reviews and reports Unix/Linux system metrics to ensure capacity and availability. Documents current environment and updates SOPs for 1st and 2nd level support teams.
- Initiates and supports process improvement activities.
- Implements and delivers business plans to support business needs. Plans, allocates and organizes team resources to meet business plan goals.
- Collaborates with technology teams to ensure events, alerts and changes are defined and understood to enable faster response times to incidents.
- Identifies and manages risks to reduce impact on business processes.
- Ensures operational procedures and processes are defined and consistently applied.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
Associate’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and 2+ years of e xperience in relevant systems administration
In lieu of a degree, 4+ years of related work experience
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferably in a Technology centric discipline) or the equivalent work experience
- 3+ years working in Technology (preferably infrastructure – UNIX/Linux
And by the way, while you’re waiting to hear from us, don’t forget to check out the great benefits Discover offers.
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer ( EEO is the law ). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law in consideration for a career at Discover.
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.