At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Under direction from management and/or team leads, responsible for all activities related to database system administration. Ensures long-term requirements of systems operations and administration are included in the overall information systems planning of the organization. Responsible for the installation, maintenance, configuration, and integrity of database infrastructure, hardware, and software. Implements operating system enhancements that will improve the reliability and performance of the system. Recognizes and troubleshoots problems with server hardware and applications software. Follows established documented standards and procedures to complete their tasks. Requires in-depth knowledge of computer operations and familiarity with the deployed database technologies to meet the needs of our customers and business.
- Performs scheduled changes (patching, maintenance, deployment, decommission, configuration, performance tuning) for all hardware and software used to support the database infrastructure.
- Participates in pager rotation to provide 24×7 support for all database system environments (Prod, Test, Development).
- Participates with infrastructure and application teams regarding project work, POCs, and/or troubleshooting exercises.
- Monitors the database system hardware/software for performance degradation, connectivity issues, system events and alerts.
- Updates and manages tickets through resolution with vendors and internal support groups.
- Tests, analyzes, performs corrective actions and restores availability and services in a timely and accurate manner to eliminate/reduce application impact.
- Provides timely notifications to management/outage team and escalates tickets to appropriate internal and external management as needed.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in System Administration, or related field
- 2+ years of experience in Mainframe Engineering, Unix/Linux Administration, Database Systems, or related field
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.