LIFE AT IMC AS LINUX ENGINEER
WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
IMC is a leading global market maker, using algorithmic trading and advanced technology to buy and sell securities on multiple trading venues worldwide. We provide liquidity to the financial markets, driving efficiencies for buyers and sellers.
Founded in 1989, we are an ambitious, innovative company and identified early on the importance technology would play in the fast-paced evolution of trading. This entrepreneurial spirit still drives us today and can be found in all of our offices around the world.
We now operate globally from offices in Europe, the US and Asia Pacific. Our employees work closely together in multidisciplinary teams, making our success possible.
Technology - At IMC, technology is not a department, it is at the heart of everything we do. Our technologists push the limits of possibility, and then look beyond. In our fast-paced environment, short feedback loops mean projects worked on in the morning can enter production the next day.
Trading – Although our traders come from many backgrounds they all have one thing in common: they are at their best solving complex problems. Their insight into global events, market shifts and pricing ensure we are trading in the right place, at the right time.
Business Support - Around the world, IMC’s business support teams are essential for sustaining our success. In our dynamic environment, we have many exciting challenges and multidisciplinary opportunities to shape our operations and make a real impact.
Our employees are our greatest asset so we give them lots of responsibility and the support they need to make a difference. Our flat structure fosters a culture of openness and collaboration, encouraging the sharing of ideas and knowledge. It makes no difference if you have been with us for three days or three years, the best idea wins.
While we work hard, we also have a lot of fun; whether solving complex challenges or in team building, leisure and sporting activities. IMC also enables its employees to contribute towards a better society through our foundation.
LINUX ENGINEERING AT IMC:
We are looking for an experienced and motivated UNIX/Linux Engineer who will play a critical role in system administration of our technical environment. The UNIX/Linux Engineer will be part of highly experienced team, and be faced with new challenges on a regular basis. The possibility to make a large impact as part of a dedicated, dynamic team at IMC, both locally and globally, is unlike any other. Our flat culture encourages not only knowledge and best practice sharing, but also the opportunity to have your voice heard. The purpose of this role is to manage IMC’s UNIX-based server environment in a scalable and automated fashion, while continuously integrating bleeding edge ideas and technology into the environment.
- Expert level administration of 600+ enterprise class servers running Red Hat and Fedora Linux
- Performance tuning of virtual memory system, network interface buffers, CPU process scheduling classes etc
- Automated monitoring of servers and network infrastructure using Nagios
- Automation of server provisioning using Cobbler
- Automation of server configuration management using Puppet
- Automation of other various integrated components such as firmware updates, reporting, etc by means of custom scripts
- Define and maintain server build standards
- Support of/ troubleshooting of operating system and other integrated components
- Develop shell and python scripts to assist with day to day operations
- Create RPM packages for both internally developed code as well as customized installations of 3rd party code
- Evaluate new technologies with the goal of reducing server latency
- Document the infrastructure
WHAT MAKES IT FUN?
IMC operates in an ever changing environment where we continually challenge each other to come up with the best results. Ultimately, we expect you to add value all around, working from the lowest levels of our platforms up to our most concrete trading problems.
On the technology side, we believe we need to continuously improve ourselves in order to stay ahead in the game. Accordingly, we encourage interaction between all Engineers across teams, advocate continual training to stay up-to-date with developments outside of IMC, and support your continued personal and professional development.
WHO YOU ARE:
- 5 years of Linux/UNIX administration
- Ability to work in an extremely fast paced environment with an extreme level of attention to detail
- Ability to work in a team environment
- In depth knowledge of the Linux operating system
- Knowledge of network buffers, modifications, and optimizations
- Advanced to expert level scripting in 1 or more of: Bash, Python, Perl, Ruby, etc
- Proficiency with TCP stack and UNIX sockets
- Must be a self starter, and able to work productively under minimal supervision.
- Strong desire to solve problems.
- Sense of urgency a must
- Strong prioritization skills
- Knowledge of Financial Markets (particularly derivatives) is an advantage, and a passion for the industry is essential
- Excellent trouble-shooting and diagnostic skills; ability to solve problems creatively and proactively
- Strong communication and relationship building skills are vital
- Affinity with financial engineering
- Team player
OUR HIRING PROCESS
To set you up for success, you can find our hiring process including tips on applying and interviewing with us on our website. Now it’s up to you! Apply today to start an amazing journey with IMC.