Manager- Software Engineering
At Relativity, we make great software that helps users organize data, discover the truth, and act on it. Our product is used by more than 13,000 organizations around the world – in the cloud, on-premises, or both – to manage large volumes of data.
Here you can own your career in a community of values-driven people who help our customers around the world solve complex data challenges. If this sounds like the place for you, check out the details of this position below.
The Manager, Software Engineering is responsible for building and leading a highly effective team of software engineers, and working with departmental contacts to support the demands of the department and meet the objectives of the product development process. The engineering manager is responsible for the professional development of their reports and is the subject matter expert for the product features they are involved in.
Focuses on Product Delivery
Whether it’s litigation, information governance, a government request, or an internal investigation, our products Relativity and RelativityOne give our customers a complete set of flexible tools to tackle their unique big data challenges through every phase of a project. You will take a lead role in the development, enhancement and improvement our tools which is vital to our user community of more than 160,000 peers looking to learn from each other and share their experiences. As we move more of our products to the cloud, we look for leaders who can help us solve tough, complex problems and allow our software to process larger amounts of information and data faster than ever. Additional expectations include:
- Contributes to the product roadmap and uses it to bring purpose to the team and their backlog
- Has effective ability to scope and drive features and products, delivering updates
- Deliver results, within time and scope, and brings visibility through regular reporting
- Accountability behind the features and products they own
- Develop deep software product knowledge within their team’s area of ownership
Makes Effective Decisions
- Display an ownership mindset; Be accountable for and beyond the features your team develops
- Uses independent judgment to develop strategic vision within multiple feature sets or domains
- Implements operational policies and directives
- Leads a team of software
- Validates resource utilization to assure efficient deployment of team members
- Tackle significant and unique issues where analysis of situations or data requires analysis of intangibles and providing direction on actions to be taken.
Promotes Personal Development
The Manager, Software Engineering is responsible for the professional development of their team under them and is the subject matter expert for the product features they are involved in. He or she will work collaboratively with their team to identify and develop the talents of each individual team member.
Builds High-Performing Teams
Responsible for building and leading a highly effective team of software engineers, and working with departmental contacts to support the demands of the department and meet the objectives of the product development process. Keep your team’s vision aligned with bigger picture in mind.
Aligns Goals with Strategy
Serves as technology advisor to the business on all aspects of software technology trends and novel solutions specific to their respective domain or feature set. Stay on the top of the latest technological progress and use this knowledge to ensure company products and software solutions remain marketable and competitive. Be a subject matter expert in your area of our product. Use long term strategic thinking to guide and develop your team to help them meet overall product goals. Exercises a significant latitude in determining objectives and approaches to critical assignments. Be innovative. Think beyond the when crafting solutions and considering impact.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in computer science or related disciplines
- 4+ years of experience managing software product development teams
- 10+ years of software development of commercial-grade systems and applications with a proven track record of building and leading successful engineering teams
- Experience managing remote teams or individual staff in remote locations is a plus
- Excellent knowledge of software engineering discipline, including the latest programming languages, object-oriented programming, hands-on architecture high-performance, fault-tolerant distributed systems, data structures and algorithms, operating systems, distributed database modeling and access languages, cloud environments such as SaaS
- Strong teamwork and partnering skills for cross-group collaboration
- Strong Leadership skills, ability to perform under the pressure and optimize the team's resources to attain the business goals
- Ability to motivate people, instill accountability and achieve results
- In depth knowledge of agile product development methodologies
- Strong verbal, presentation, and written communications skills for technical and non-technical audiences
Our software has more than 150,000 active users in more than 40 countries from organizations including the U.S. Department of Justice, more than 70 Fortune 100 companies, and more than 195 of the Am Law 200. We have grown significantly over the last several years and continue striving to build software that helps solve our customers’ toughest e-discovery and unstructured data challenges.