Manager, Software & High-Tech Strategy at West Monroe
At West Monroe, our people are our business.
We pride ourselves on bringing a different mindset to consulting—and that takes a different approach: highly collaborative, flexible, and tenacious.
Our people-first, highly collaborative culture is core to our identity. It’s something we care about, and something we strive to enrich and preserve. No hierarchies. No siloes. No egos. Just smart ideas, and the drive to make an impact for our clients.
Every day our clients rely on us to help them tackle their greatest challenges, by strategically deploying technology through a business-focused and industry-specific lens. We bring together both the right knowledge and the right approach, so that they can capitalize on opportunities and deliver real results. That takes the right team. And that’s where you come in.
Ready for the next step on your career journey?
West Monroe is seeking a Manager with prior experience in and a strong passion for the Software & High-Tech industry to join our Chicago office. Our Chicago office serves an array of interesting and exciting Software & High-Tech, Private Equity, and Corporate Strategic clients across the nation.
As a Manager, you will serve Software & High-Tech clients and Private Equity investors with a focus on software, TMT, and tech-enabled services businesses. Engagements range across growth strategy, technology innovation, operational improvement, diligence, and merger integrations / carve-outs.
In addition to client delivery, you will have the opportunity to assist with business development (hunting new clients and building relationship with existing), along with contributing to internal practice development leadership.
Managers within West Monroe have three main responsibilities:
- Manage teams serving Software & High-Tech and Private Equity clients while demonstrating advisory capabilities with high level client counterparts such as C-level executives, Business Unit GMs, and Private Equity Deal and Operating Partners
- Contribute to fast-paced due diligence engagements for Private Equity and Corporate Strategic clients investing in Software & High-Tech, with an ability to evaluate the market opportunity, product technology, operating model, and their effects on margins, revenue, and growth risks.
- Play a key role in complex transactions within the Software & High-Tech sector (e.g., post-merger integration, carve-out/divestitures, operating model transformation) focused on initiatives such as product strategy, target operating model development, post-sales operations and retention improvement, and transaction program advisory.
- Execute strategy and operations improvement engagements for Software & High-Tech companies.
- Build data-driven methodologies and assets for evaluating Software & High-Tech businesses and manage related internal initiatives
- Enhance analysis and presentation frameworks used in Software & High-Tech advisory
- Collaborate with a team of Software & High-Tech industry, technology and operational consulting teams to develop and enhance delivery capabilities across West Monroe’s practice areas
- Actively participate in the performance management process
- Actively participate in recruiting and retaining top quality consultants
- Assist with company campus and experienced recruiting
- Support opportunities to provide prospects and clients with advisory services for Software & High-Tech businesses and Private Equity Investors; collaborate with practice partners to support these opportunities
- Understand client investment needs/constraints and help tailor proposals appropriately to meet their needs
- Develop go-to-market messaging and sales materials to support business development for prospects and clients
- Create work plans, pricing estimates, and risk assessments for potential engagements
- Actively participate in Software / Technology and M&A industry events
- Attend networking events and actively build and leverage a professional network and affiliate network in the local community
- Minimum of 7+ years of work experience including at least one of the following:
- Team-based, client-facing management, technology, or strategy consulting to Software and/or high-tech clients
- Operational role within the Software & High-Tech sector
- M&A experience at strategic acquirer
- Experienced in specific Software & High-Tech sub-sectors (e.g. FinTech, Healthcare IT, Marketing Tech, etc.) preferred, but not mandatory
- Knowledge of go-to-market practices in a technology business, e.g., sales effectiveness, pricing, sales operations, etc.
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills
- Experience managing client relationships
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and quality assurance experience
- Strong communication skills to be able to work with C-level clients
- Ability to travel up to 50%; Travel is short term (2-3 days on-site per diligence engagement, 50-75% during longer-term engagements)
- Ability to work permanently in the United States without sponsorship