Mechanical Engineer at Peapod Digital Labs
What’s our Dish - About Us
Announced in May 2018, Peapod Digital Labs is an Ahold Delhaize USA company that will serve as the engine that powers U.S. ecommerce and digital strategies. Peapod Digital Labs will accelerate growth in digital and personalization capabilities for the great local brands of Ahold Delhaize USA and will serve as the innovation lab for the U.S. portfolio of companies, driving digital and eCommerce innovation, technology and experience to meet the changing needs of customers of Ahold Delhaize USA’s local brands, regardless of when, where and how consumers choose to shop. Peapod continues to be a consumer-facing eCommerce brand, and is part of Peapod Digital Labs, focused on growing Peapod sales to consumers.
Recipe for Success - What's “in store” for the role
Apply engineering principles and techniques in the areas of mechanics, thermos dynamics, hydraulics and material design.
- Conduct research, analytics, conceptual design and planning requirements; including necessary CAD drawings.
- Work with facility management and finance to complete analysis on project equipment design impacts to enhance productivity, throughput and network capacity to financially justify strategic equipment investments.
- Assure that budgets and project timetables are met while managing strategic equipment projects.
- Engineer effective designs of automated equipment and enhanced flow of product within each network facility.
- Provide oversight to local maintenance teams; including indirect reporting of the maintenance lead at Jersey City, NJ given the complexity and automation.
- This position shall design and approve modifications to existing product flow and equipment design to optimize costs for the organization.
- Serve as the primary liaison with all external engineering firms and operations and will review and approve all automated equipment design elements.
- Provide oversight to the obtainment of all government permits needed for project implementations as well as tax rebates afforded; assure all regulatory requirements are met.
- Effectively designs line equipment to increase line efficiency and throughput, performs analysis of structural design to assure long term viability of equipment and assures that theoretical capacities are achieved through effective equipment design.
- This position shall approve any 3rd party analysis and equipment design. This position shall perform bottleneck analysis to recommend effective equipment designs and investments to increase throughout and storage capacities.
- Leads all design simulations run as in advance of investment proposal submissions to senior management.
- Leads equipment negotiations with the support of sourcing resources to assure design specifications are met at the lowest total cost of long term ownership.
- Keeps equipment (MHE and Refrigeration) operational on a continual basis by designing and negotiating preventative maintenance programs; following manufacturer's instructions and established procedures; requesting special services when needed.
- Provides facility oversight of all refrigeration designs to meet regulatory requirements and to drive energy efficiency.
- Support and monitor mechanical engineering inputs needed for Business Continuity, including Food Safety.
- Manage contractual obligations and compliance; including management of key issues and resolution (e.g. Dematic).
- Develop and execute a PM program across Peapod network; including quarterly audits to ensure compliance (including methods like FMEA).
- Identify and monitor KPIs that indicate performance levels of critical equipment, including up time, line efficiency, frequency and duration of downtime events, energy usage, repair cost optimization, parts inventory etc.
- Prepares maintenance reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Provides training and guides local technicians; including service level commitments by Third Party providers (e.g. FIX 2, Dematic and Wynright).
- Owns Peapod Enterprise Asset Management to track total asset base and full spare parts inventory across the facilities assuring that key replacement parts are on hand to avoid potential downtime while managing working capital.
- Maintains Operating Asset Summaries of design capabilities in a standard format for all facilities to show targeted throughputs and capacities.
- Maintains product and company reputation by complying with government regulations including OSHA and FDA and other relevant parties.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
The Essentials In Your Cart - The required ingredients
Bachelor’s Degree (Mechanical Engineer required)
5-7 years in manufacturing or automated fulfillment facility
Certified Mechanical Engineer; CMfgE
Refrigeration and HVAC; including amonia systems
Engineering Design, Development and Testing
Certified with Fire Protection Systems and Equipment
Knowledgeable of electrical systems
Manage and facilitate maintenance teams (including Third Party)
Advanced MS Excel
Extra Spices - What you should bring to the table
- Strong analytical skills, including statistical analysis
- Oral and written communication skills
- Presentation skills
- Attention to detail
- Customer focus
- 25-50% Travel
Join Us at Our Table - PDL Life
Peapod Digital Labs is forward thinking company with a strong heritage and recognizes who powers our progress – our people! We offer a great variety of benefits and perks to our employees that includes great choice of health care options, including PPO and HSA plans (with company contributions), dental, vision flexible spending accounts, a 401k with strong company match and immediate vesting, generous and flexible paid time off, and great employee discount on your groceries. Oh yeah, and snacks & drinks of course!