MicroServices Architect, Zoro Tools at Zoro
Role: MicroServices Architect
Location: Chicago, IL or Buffalo Grove, IL
A Zoro Architect is an experienced senior technologist with the ability to work from stated business intent all the way through guiding the technology implementation.
Zoro Architects are comfortable interacting with business leaders, technology leadership, technical implementation teams, customers, and each other.
A Zoro Architect exhibits the highest levels of integrity, ownership, team play, mentoring, and collaboration.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Zoro Microservices Architect is an expert-level specialist in the decomposition of legacy application monoliths into their equivalent distributed services or "coarse grained objects".
- This individual has a strong understanding of how business growth at the $1 Billion+ level drives systems and platform change. Strong preference given to candidates with demonstrated backgrounds in industrial B2B eCommerce.
- They have demonstrated experience in harmonizing existing legacy platforms with forward-looking microservices architecture.
- They are able to design, and then lead, a migration from the legacy to the new architecture. This position requires the individual to be able to switch between the "big picture" organizational view of their role to the detailed implementation view comfortably and seamlessly.
The Zoro Microservices Architect has:
- Expert level understanding of messaging middleware, pub-sub architectures, asynchronous computing, and producer-consumer abstractions.
- Expert level understanding of "share nothing" distributed architectures.
- Expert level understanding of event-driven distributed compute from web front end through logistics fulfillment.
- Expert level understanding of cloud and container technologies.
- Expert level understanding of major microservices patterns and behaviors including:
- Circuit Breakers
- Load Balancing
- Exactly Once Semantics
- Application Layer Acknowledgement
- Idempotent Messaging
- Load-Driven Autoscale Up- And Down
- Bumpers or “shock absorbers”
- Senior level understanding of other architectural disciplines such as Front End, Back End, Data, and eCommerce.
- Strong candidates will show demonstrated expertise in:
- Google Cloud Platform
- Kubernetes (GCP/GKE desirable)
- Service Mesh (Istio desirable)
- API Management (Kong or Apigee desirable)
- Working knowledge of git version control
- Working knowledge of CI/CD (such as Ansible, Jenkins, Terraform, Spinnaker)
- Functional understanding of TCP/IP networking, routing, firewalling, and network programming.
- General understanding of higher level protocols like dns, smtp, ssh, nfs, and http.
- Functional understanding of IT monitoring, logging, alerting, and general operations.
- Candidates who lack some of the expertise above will be considered if they show experience in related technologies such as:
- Kafka (or other Enterprise pub-sub/ESB technology)
- MS Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
- Work experience in industrial eCommerce is highly desired.
- Strong systems thinker with conceptual and structural orientation. Able to "begin with the end in mind".
- Able to articulate the tradeoffs between time, cost, complexity, and quality when making design decisions.
- Outstanding verbal and written communications skills. Able to convey high complexity topics in clear and essential form.
- Natural team player with strong conflict resolution and consensus building skills.
- Comfortable making decisions with incomplete information. Able to work comfortably in constantly changing environment. Designs for future unknowns.
- Demonstrated experience leading high complexity technical initiatives from concept through implementation.
- Familiar with enterprise security and compliance disciplines.
- Able to understand business-driven requirements and translate them into actionable technology initiatives.
Zoro is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.