Middleware Engineer (Chef Pipelines)
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
Middleware Engineer (Chef Pipelines)
Middleware team is looking for highly motivated and talented engineer, who is passionate about engineering velocity and product automation. Middleware is currently at the early stage of implementing CI pipelines utilizing Jenkins, GitHub, and Nexus, and write codes leveraging Chef for middleware software automation and configuration management. The pipelines will help the application development team to build, test and deploy java applications faster and efficient and manage environments more efficiently. Team currently owns and provide governance for the following technologies: WebSphere AppServer, Tomcat, JBoss, Apache, DataPower, WMQ, WXS, GSA, RabbitMQ, API Gateway, and API Portal.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Automation. Automation. Automation. Develop Chef Code and Build CI Pipelines that will help drive improvements in Middleware Software and Configuration Management from software installation to software configuration to administration and integration and operations.
- Automate repetitive tasks, infrastructure activities related to Middleware, self-service deployments, and pro-active monitoring.
- Partner with internal Middleware teams, infrastructure partners, enterprise architecture, security and application teams to drive adoption of new features, capability to support business initiative and applications.
- Provide 2nd and 3rd level support of Middleware Platforms.
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or like field
- 3+ yrs working in an Infrastructure Services environment
- Significant experience with Chef, Pipelines, or Equivalent technology.
- Good scripting knowledge on Shell, Python and Bash.
- Ability to bridge gap between application development teams and integration or operations with a strong bias toward infrastructure as code.
- Taking an active leading role in continuous process improvement and problem solving.
- Ability to lead technical discussions and embrace feedback from partner teams to improve automation to support applications.
- Must possess attention to detail, commitment to quality and a refined sense of urgency.
- Hands-on industry experience in WebSphere, Tomcat, or other related Java Container Platforms in performance analysis, implementation, project leadership, maintenance, and technical documentation.
- Experience with security vulnerability analysis and remediation, upgrade/patching, server refresh and capacity planning disciplines.
- Excellent leadership, organizational and communication skills (both written and verbal), team player, self-motivated, requiring minimal direction, good work ethic, driven to learning.
- Ability to troubleshoot complex technical environments and work with vendors to bring timely solutions and implement fixes.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.