Mobile Telematics Engineer, Enterprise
The engineering team at Root strives to be one of the most transformative engineering teams ever. We’re changing the way an industry works by leveraging technology and data to build the best products possible. Even with our significant growth, we operate in small teams that are given ownership over projects and results. We’ve found that the people closest to the problems are the best at solving them.
For more information on engineering at Root see https://eng.joinroot.com/
We recently raised the largest VC round ever for an Ohio technology company:
Our team excels at delivering software to solve the problems in front of us at Root: presently, a suite of world-class mobile, web, and server-based products obsessed with the customer experience. We’ve shaped our team and process around this; we know that constant iteration and experimentation produce the best results.
We are growing and are recruiting for a Senior Software Engineer for our Enterprise Team, preferably with strong expertise in iOS Swift/ObjC or Android Java (though any experience is fine). We value engineers who take a team-first viewpoint on software engineering, who work well with other engineers and make those around them better.
We divide the areas of responsibility for engineers into three major areas:
Technical: The skills and knowledge that make up an engineer’s basic problem-solving toolbox.
Planning and Execution: The ability to plan and execute assigned work beyond basic technical solutions.
Working with Others: The ability to work effectively with other engineers and people in other functions.
Scope of Impact Team/Initiative/Company
What we look for in Mobile Telematics Engineers:
- Preferably a deep understanding of iOS native development (Swift/Objective-C), though any experience developing iOS or Android applications is acceptable.
- Experience building applications or services at scale (transactional scale with a focus on reliability and extensiblity).
- Incorporates testing and thinks about reliability as a natural part of delivering working software.
- Solid knowledge of databases, SQL, client-server architectures and version control tools.
Planning and Execution
- Plans and completes large and complex tasks/projects without supervision.
- Foresees issues and requirements for large projects and features.
- Completes large pre-planned tasks in an efficient manner.
- Thinks critically about work to guarantee business functionality. Understands and takes into account business goals into their technical decisions.
- Can break down large initiatives into incrementally implementable deliverables
Working with Others
- Provides effective and accurate technical feedback in code reviews.
- Able to work across teams to tackle complex issues.
- Able to positively influence other engineers, both directly and indirectly.
- Works with product owners, analysts and other functions to move company’s priorities forward