Morningstar Development Program for Technologists
The Program: We built the Morningstar Development Program for technologists to nurture recent college graduates and prepare them for successful, long-term careers at our company. Throughout this two-year program, you will tackle different roles across Morningstar's technology business. You will have access to our technology leaders and be exposed to different aspects of Morningstar’s business. You will gain foundational knowledge of the financial industry, as well as of key technology trends including Agile methodologies, mobile application development, and software as a service (SaaS) delivered from our private cloud.
The Role: The Morningstar Development Program for technologists is accepting applicants with zero to two years of full-time work experience. You are a self-starter who sees technology as an art, understands business goals, and can build scalable, flexible software solutions by taking technical direction and applying modern software development practices. We expect that you’ve mastered the technologies, languages, or development environments you’ve been working with—whichever they may be—and that you will be able to learn any technology or language that’s needed. All positions are based in our Chicago office.
If you are passionate about a role outside of technology, please apply to the general Morningstar Development Program. You cannot apply to both programs.
- Contribute to ongoing training sessions, stretch projects, and roundtable discussions while developing a strong foundation of knowledge to use in your Morningstar career
- Develop critical skills and areas of expertise that will prepare you for advancement into positions across the organization
- Design and develop Java, .NET, and Objective-C applications to be flexible, scalable, and robust; collaborate on object-oriented designs and domain modeling
- Adhere to good Agile practices such as test-driven development and continuous integration
- Write automated functional and unit tests for technology stacks
- Craft a platform for globalization of our web and mobile solutions
- Analyze and address production issues; build instrumentation and operational readiness into the system architecture
- Use continuous and automated deployment
- Act as a software guardian by taking ownership of nonfunctional elements, architectural direction, and the quality of the code, while addressing technical debt
- Support architectural, design, and engineering practices to launch products to Morningstar’s private cloud
- A bachelor’s degree
- An exceptional academic record
- Excellent coding skills
- The ability to integrate into a team and work well with others
- Experience in analysis, design, coding, and implementation of large-scale Java object-oriented applications and Web 2.0 applications; mobile experience is a plus
- Strong knowledge of object-oriented design including design patterns and their applicability
- Experience with Agile methodologies such as Extreme Programming (XP) and Scrum
- Knowledge of good design practices like encapsulation, composition, and engineering with continuous integration and test-driven development
- Awareness of activity in the open-source world; contribution to the open-source community is a big asset
- Knowledge of UNIX/Linux and exposure to MySQL/SQL Server databases
- Ability to adapt to different situations and thrive in a meaningful, energizing environment
A cover letter is required.
Please upload your cover letter in the same attachment field that you upload your resume in, labeled Resume/CV.
Indicate your earliest available start date and cumulative GPA in your required cover letter.