Network Engineer at City of Evanston
*Starting salary is dependent upon qualifications, but in most cases is no higher than the midpoint for range.
NATURE OF WORK:
The Network Engineer will primarily provide administration, configuration, and maintenance services for the City’s network infrastructure. This is a hands-on technical position that requires a deep understanding of Cisco routing/switching protocols, as well as firewall configuration policy management. The City of Evanston’s network is comprised of dozens of sites employing a mix of fiber optic uplinks, SD-WAN and VPN technologies. This provides a rich opportunity for working on a diverse computing environment that continues to evolve over time. As such, an ideal candidate will be able to assist in the architecture and planning for growth, not just maintaining a static network.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (Specific assignment will include some or all of the following):
- Supports and maintains Cisco based enterprise wireless network.
- Maintains the network of Cisco based switches and VLANs.
- Maintains WAN uplinks, Cisco ISR routers, and ASA Firewall policies.
- Deploys and supports SD-WAN nodes; deploys and maintains cloud based VPCs.
- Provides excellent service in support 24/7/365 operations such as Police, Fire, and 911.
- Maintains documentation of deployed systems.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS OF WORK:
- Must possess a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and three (3) or more years hands-on relevant work experience; OR must possess a high school diploma or GED and five (5) or more years hands-on relevant work experience. Possession of Cisco CCNP certification is preferred.
- Must possess a valid driver's license and a safe driving record.
- Knowledge, skills, and abilities in the following areas:
- Deep understanding of various network protocols such as DNS, DHCP, LDAP, TACACS+, EIGRP, and BGP.
- Experience with Cisco NX-OS preferred.
- Proven experience with design, build, and troubleshooting of IP networks including routers, firewalls, wireless controllers, and switches.
- Proven experience in supporting AWS and Azure cloud based networks.
- Familiarity with network monitoring tools such as NTOP, Cacti, Solarwinds, or Cisco Prime Infrastructure.
- Preferred experience with network access control systems such as Cisco Identity Service Engine.
- Familiarity with Cisco Call Manager preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work on multiple projects with deadlines.
- Ability to work well in a team oriented environment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF WORK:
Ability to work primarily in a sedentary position, occasionally using force to lift, carry or otherwise move objects normally found in an office setting. The employee is subject to inside environmental conditions.
The Network Engineer reports to the IT Network Infrastructure and Security Manager. Guidance is provided via the City Code; City financial, purchasing and technology policies; state statutes; and related governmental or other agencies. The employee must be able to work independently, within the overall framework and policies set by the City Manager, and alongside the IT Division which includes infrastructure, security, service desk and application teams.. The employee is responsible for prioritizing work tasks and for identifying and utilizing the appropriate resources to reach the goals of the division, department, and the City Manager. While supporting the City’s life safety operations, the network engineer will occasionally be required to work late night or on weekends. The Network Engineer is formally evaluated at least annually with respect to technical expertise and response to service and performance in accordance with this classification standard.