Performance Engineer at IMC Trading
Trading nowadays happens in a highly competitive technological landscape; the best trading idea alone doesn’t cut it anymore. Instead, only the best trading ideas that are enabled via robust, scalable and fast technology win.
Do you enjoy the process of problem solving, a process where you recognize areas of improvement and iterate and innovate to improve? Does your curiosity and desire to learn drive you?
PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING AT IMC
As a performance engineer at IMC, you’ll analyze, optimize, and continuously tune the complete trading environment in order to improve performance of our low latency trading systems on financial exchanges.
- Contribute towards the development of our toolset used to measure and improve performance of our trading infrastructure.
- Provide performance ideas, solutions, and recommendations that are both smart and scalable to the business.
- Understand internal and external developments in technology, as well as competitor approaches that can help improve IMC performance.
- Build IMC's knowledge base to ensure deep understanding of exchange infrastructure and protocols.
- Work closely with traders and other technology teams (locally and globally) to drive global thinking, information sharing, and sustainable, long-term solutions.
WHAT MAKES IT FUN?
- One of the most fun aspects of the job is that we have a very quick feedback loop. We release early and often to get incremental benefits as they are developed
- We operate at the bleeding edge of technology. If something new can potentially bring an advantage we will actively invest in developing and utilizing the solution
- We really believe in sharing knowledge and technology between the different offices. Much of our technology stack is shared between all 3 regions, and we provide opportunities to travel between the regions both for personal growth and to assist where it has the biggest impact.
- To get the best results we encourage everybody to gain understanding of both the trading strategy and how exchanges work on a technological level.
- Working at IMC is also an opportunity to learn about financial markets. We know from experience that a lot of people really enjoy learning about a field beyond their immediate area of expertise, it’s one of the things that makes this job more interesting than others.
- We employ a broad range of people with varying backgrounds. What they have in common is their superior technical expertise, their extraordinary smarts and their collaborative approach. We will not accept less.
WHO YOU ARE:
- Ability to clearly communicate complex ideas
- The ability to work without supervision; a true self starter
- Motivation and ability to conduct undirected research and to challenge ideas
- Ability to see opportunities and to make them happen
- Qualifications in Computer Science, Business Information Systems/Technology. Other degree qualifications will be considered if supported by strong IT components.
- Relevant working experience, either in a similar performance role or other technically demanding, low level technology engineering role.
- Expert level knowledge of Linux with a focus on operating system internals.
- Expert Level understanding of networked systems (TCP/IP, UDP, IP multicast).
- High level of competency with C, C++ and/or Java programming.
- Experience with tuning and monitoring distributed systems
- Expert level troubleshooting skills.
- Bash and Python/Perl fluency
- Strong automation skills with scripting languages
We are at the core a trading firm, however we value trading and technology equally and we believe that cooperation between traders and technologists is one of our great strengths. This is also reflected in our organizational and remuneration policies. We believe in fostering a truly flat environment in which great ideas can be recognized as well as put into practice from anybody within our organization
WHO WE ARE:
IMC is among the world’s leading technology-driven trading firms, and a market maker in securities listed on exchanges across the globe. Our cutting-edge technology drives everything we do. High performance algorithms, smart strategies and collaborative teams are the core of our business.
Today, IMC is 500+ people working together to build software and trade financial products in our offices in Amsterdam, Chicago and Sydney. What does this mean for you? The chance to join a multi-national, multi-cultural team of exceptional individuals, focused on making IMC the world’s best trading firm.