The Platform Architect is a Technical Program Manager tasked with overseeing creation of a platform and the corresponding organizational and cultural changes needed to help the platform become sustainable by the client.
As a trusted partner to our clients, you’ll be pushing the organization forward while helping them solve difficult technology problems. You will foster an environment that empowers teams and facilitates the development of your team members, setting everyone up to deliver their best work.
The ThoughtWorks Digital Platform Strategy (DPS) offers a holistic approach unleashing the power an enterprise already possesses. By combining tailored platform solutions with powerful strategic guidance, we collaborate with our partners to build and execute on a strategy to facilitate innovation, reduce time to market, and deliver unique competitive advantage.
As Platform Architect here's what we'll be looking for you to bring:
- Basic understanding of the following areas:
- Public cloud service offerings (IaaS, PaaS, DBaaS services as well high level product offerings such, as AWS Sagemaker, Cognito, GuardDuty)
- Infrastructure as Software (Container Orchestration, Observability, CI/CD)
- Modern security practices
- Modern API platform design
- Modern data architectures (e.g. event driven architectures, data democratization, platform approaches to support ML/AI at scale, stream processing, and integrating real time analytics into customer applications)
- Organizational skills and consulting abilities that:
- Develop and evolve technology strategy, aligned to and prioritized by business objectives
- Influence / coach enterprise architecture on modern evolutionary platform architecture principles and practices
- Develop and communicate measurements of platform progress and business impact
- Support organizational changes in regards to capability development, restructuring toward product-centric team models, and transitioning to modern agile SDLC practices
- Communicate technical decisions to non-technical audiences and build consensus around them
- Articulate the value of foundational technology approaches to business executives (e.g. the pros & cons of microservices architectures in a given context)
- Own key relationships both up and downstream of the platform teams to ensure delivery.
- Manage priorities and make decisions in high stakes scenarios
- You understand that leadership is not something you do from far away; you get the importance of taking people with you along the journey and are able to influence and coach those around you to orchestrate team success.
- You understand that not every client can effectively utilize sophisticated technologies or new tools tools and prefer to choose solutions that are appropriate for an organization’s capability, cost-sensitivity, and risk tolerance.
There's no typical day or engagement for our Platform Architects. Here’s what you’ll do:
- Assess the ongoing success of the platform efforts and report the progress to the client services team and the DPS team.
- Guide delivery programs with one or more business applications which will be drivers for the emerging delivery infrastructure and API platforms.
- Strategize with the client and ThoughtWorks subject matter experts on creating and combining elements of a platform, and ensure delivery against it.
- Be responsible for engaging with technical and business stakeholders to understand clients’ needs, prioritize the delivery approach, and guide technical leads in solution delivery.
- Evangelize business benefits and impact of the platform as well as the value of modern delivery and engineering practices.
- Support client architects and portfolio managers in developing technology roadmaps, including effectively evaluating build/rent/buy decisions.
- Perform account management activities, such as delivery assurance and helping shape new engagements.
Regardless of what you do at ThoughtWorks, you’ll always have the opportunity to
- Think through hard problems, and work with a team to make them reality.
- Learn something new everyday.
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, transparent, non-hierarchical, and ego-free culture where your talent is valued over a role title.
- Travel the world.
- Speak at conferences.
- Write blogs and books.
- Develop your career outside of the confinements of a traditional career path by focusing on what you’re passionate about rather than a predetermined one-size-fits-all plan.
- Be part of a company with Social and Economic Justice at the heart of its mission.
Not quite ready to apply? Or maybe this isn’t the right role for you? That’s OK, you can stay in touch with AccessThoughtWorks, our learning community (click "contact me about recruitment opportunities" to hear about jobs in the future).
It is the policy of ThoughtWorks, Inc. to provide a work environment free of discrimination. The Company will take affirmative action to ensure applicants and ThoughtWorks employees are treated without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnic origin, veteran status, family status, disability, sexual orientation, gender expression or gender identity. This also includes individuals who are perceived to have any of the aforementioned attributes. ThoughtWorks will adhere to all federal, state, and municipal laws and regulations governing employment.