Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
This role is a hands-on engineering role that puts you in front of solutions working within a team of talented engineers – working directly with product owners and delivery managers on delivering software from development to production.
Develops and maintains mobile solutions to fit business needs. Full stack solutions require one or more of the following: front-end (user interfaces), back-end (APIs), database and Devops development.
Works directly with business partners to understand business requirements.
Independently innovates on and advocates for best practices within the team and collaborates on them across the enterprise.
Carries a holistic view of all products and their interactions to design complex solutions and plan for how new projects will fit into the larger ecosystem. Solves complex technical problems. Guides team implementation of solutions from inception to production.
As a Principal Application Architect in the Digital Product Journey area, you will be the technical lead for bank and card centric family overseeing 3-6 teams. As the technical lead you will be responsible for proactively monitoring the family’s ecosystem across mobile (and some web), as well as leading the effort of modernizing our applications
Responsible for developing, creating, modifying, and integrating computer applications software. Analyzes user needs and develops software solutions. Designs software with the aim of optimizing operational efficiency. Responsible for the overall architecture and system design and ensures that teams follow the best practices. Provides guidance to the teams and performs POCs for the new software and tools.
- Architects mobile front end with a focus on user experience.
- This job will require 30% hands on coding and 70% architecture oversight.
- Be a leader in the Discover engineering community affecting and driving architecture across the company
- Ensure the group is adhering to principles of engineering excellence - Code maintainability, Quality, Monitoring, Operational Excellence and Documentatio
- Dive into the unknown to solve challenging problems and define solutions alongside the best engineers in the company
- Uses holistic knowledge of all products in and adjacent to the team’s ecosystem to plan how new systems will be built and integrated; finds new ways to bring value to the company using technology.
- Innovates on and advocates for best practices and improved processes within the team and with internal partners
- Creates and maintains DevOps processes, application infrastructure and utilizes cloud services (including database systems and models).
- Supports live systems to ensure business continuity.
- Acts as a conduit between high level architecture and the teams.
- Acts as a conduit between different teams that work on larger solutions together
- Responsible for working closely with the teams to ensure they stay aligned with the solution and have the help they need
- Responsible for any escalations as and when needed in case of delays and blockers.
- Stays up to date with technology trends and best practices
- Develop and lead proof of concepts for future solutions relevant to initiatives.
- Help to groom business features with business stakeholders.
- Working with management and teams to improve and communicate development processes and practices.
- Communicates with staff and clients to understand specific system requirements.
- Provides advice on project costs, designs, concepts, and changes.
- Documents design specifications, installation instructions, and other system information.
- Verifies stability, inter-operability, portability, security, and scalability of system architecture. Collaborates with technology teams to select appropriate design solutions and ensure the compatibility of system component
- Bachelors Information Technology or Business
- 8+ years Application Development / Leadership, or related experience
- In lieu of education, 10+ years Application Development / Leadership, or related experience
Technical experience/skills that will make you successful:
- Modern web and mobile development frameworks (such as Angular, React, React Native, Vue or jQuery)
- Web browser, Mobile device & Cross device compatibility desig
- Java, J2EE, APIs, Microservices
- CI/CD with Jenkins or similar, Git/GitHub, Gradle, Nexus, SonarQube
- Cloud/PaaS Architectures: Cloud Foundry (PCF), AWS or OCP
- Container solutions: Docker, Kubernetes or Openshif
- Monitoring and logging tools: App Dynamics, Kibana, CLS
- Understanding of software development methodologies including Agile, Scrum and XP
- Messaging & streaming middleware e.g. RabbitMQ, Kinesis, Kafk
- Excellent problem-solving skills, with a demonstrated ability to identify issues, solve them quickly and well
- Strong verbal, presentation and written communication skills
#Remote #BI-Remote #LI-SY1
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.