Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) applies software engineering techniques and discipline to production operations to attack reliability and performance issues to fix them for good. SREs focus on availability, latency, performance, efficiency, change management, monitoring, emergency response and capacity planning of their services.
We are looking for a seasoned, experienced SRE that will be a thought leader on a team of SREs. This team is responsible for the availability some of Discover’s most critical applications: our Card and Bank websites and mobile application. Our SREs are responsible for ensuring resiliency patterns are built into applications, applications are available 24x7, and automating operational processes. The SRE practice is fairly new at Discover, and you will be able to help mature the SRE culture and practice.
As a Principal Application Reliability Engineer, you’ll tap into your passion for finding and fixing inefficiencies to solve our reliability and performance issues. In our Agile environment, you’ll focus on availability, latency, performance, efficiency, change and problem management, monitoring, emergency response and capacity planning of our services. Your projects will deliver enhanced infrastructure, development, and deployment automation at Discover.
Creates solutions addressing high impact technology and business priorities
Competent in multiple contexts, including programming languages, security, automation, testing, and business domains and is the go-to person for many people (inside and outside of their team)
Participates in strategic technology decisions and learns how these decisions impact Discover as a whole
Proactively identifies and mitigates issues based on intuition and experience in multiple domains
Coaches technology communities at Discover
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
Bachelors – Computer Science or related
6+ Years -- Information Technology, (Software) Engineering, or related
Internal applicants only: technical proficiency rating of proficient on the Dreyfus engineering scale
- Expertise with SRE practices and the entire software development lifecycle
- Expertise and operational experience at scale - designing and operating highly available, scalable and fault-tolerant systems using container platforms
- Experience with operational monitoring tools (AppDynamics, NewRelic, Instana, CatchPoint) with a mindset towards predictive analysis
- Experience with Splunk or ELK Stack, Grafana, DataDog, or Sysdig
- Working knowledge of the automation tools such as Ansible, Terraform, or Chef
- Experience with Pivotal Cloud Foundry (PCF), OpenShift (OCP), Amazon Web Service (AWS),
- Good understanding of networking including L2 and L3 concepts, including Firewall, Load Balancing, Routing and Switching.
- A working knowledge of Linux based systems and Virtual Machines (VM) technology
- Strong scripting skills including ability to write scripts from scratch using Python and/or Bash
- Basic knowledge and understanding of Security (CIA Model and PCI compliance) is a plus
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery models including Blue/Green and Canary release models is a plus
External applicants will be required to perform a technical interview
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
And by the way, while you're waiting to hear from us, don't forget to check out the great benefits Discover offers.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.