Principal Cloud Application Architect at Discover
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Do you want to be on the forefront of the next BIG thing in advancing the analytic technology landscape? Are you driven by the thought of being involved at the ground level of an enterprise wide transformation? Do you enjoy solving complex business problems in a fast paced, collaborative environment?
Discover Financial Services is seeking a bright, driven, and talented Principal Cloud Application Architect to join a team of passionate and innovative technologists.
*** THIS POSITION WILL BE BASED IN OUR HEADQUARTERS IN RIVERWOODS ILLINOIS WITH THE FLEXIBILITY OF WORKING FROM OUR DOWNTOWN CHICAGO OFFICE ***
In this role, you will use your experience and hands on approach with next generation technologies to contribute to a team that delivers the latest containerized solutions for next generation data & analytic technologies.
- Collaborate with Product Owners to understand requirements for architecture.
- Deep technical skill in infrastructure, software architecture and cloud computing with machine learning and analytics use cases in mind..
- Design and arrangement of scalable, highly attainable, and fault tolerant systems on AWS.
- Assist with migration of architectures from the lab environment to the operational AWS environment.
- Work with full-stack team to define and implement logical and physical architecture.
- Document the architecture (both up-front design and post-release as-built).
- Collaborates with cross-functional roles to communicate and align development efforts with Architecture Roadmap.
- Provide development and implementation for architecture design concepts (50/50 architect/developer).
- Define domain boundaries, API functionality, and data structure to promote clean separation of responsibility in SOA / microservices environment.
- Help identify coding patterns and anti-patterns and enforce implementation of the patterns through code reviews.
- Performs root cause analysis, technology evaluation, and design spikes to define architecture supporting high-quality resilient software
- Helps break down, estimate, and provide just-in-time design for small increments of work.
- Promotes improvements in DevOps, including version control, continuous integration, project build and test automation, to maximize developer efficiency.
- Help define logical and physical architecture and document the architecture using UML diagrams
- Help identify coding patterns and anti-patterns and enforce implementation of the patterns through code reviews
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent combination of education and recent, relevant work experience
- Minimum 7+ years of experience with Java (Spring or OSGi)
- Minimum 2+ years of experience with columnar store databases (snowflake, Cassandra, Redshift, etc)
- Experience working with Docker containers
- Production experience with AWS (or another cloud provider)
- Expertise with multiple AWS services and Hands-on AWS experience with a minimum of one to two implementations, preferably on enterprise scale.
- Strong understanding/Experience in the AWS Cloud IaaS and PaaS services such as RDS, EC2, S3, Lambda, IAM.
- Knowledge of and desire to work in an Agile development environment
- Strong familiarity with object-oriented systems and enterprise design patterns
- Experience with development of service oriented and micro-service applications
- Experience in Container orchestration: Kubernetes / Docker Swarm.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.