Principal DevOps Engineer at Discover
Do you want to be on the forefront of the next BIG thing in advancing the analytic technology landscape? Are you driven by the thought of being involved at the ground level of an enterprise wide transformation? Do you enjoy solving complex business problems in a fast paced, collaborative environment?
Discover Financial Services is seeking a bright, driven, and talented individual to join a team of passionate and innovative technologists.
*** BASED ON CANDIDATE PREFERENCE THIS POSITION CAN BE BASED IN OUR HEADQUARTERS IN RIVERWOODS ILLINOIS OR OUR DOWNTOWN CHICAGO OFFICE ***
In this role, you will use your experience and hands-on approach with next generation technologies to contribute to a team that performs custom (JS/Java)application development work utilizing container (Docker, Kubernetes &OpenShift Container platform) and cloud (AWS) platforms.
- Contributing member of a high performing, agile team focused on next generation data & analytic technologies
- Work closely with clients and BT team members to understand the departmental stakeholder requirements that drive the analysis and design of quality technical solutions. These solutions will be aligned with Discover and BT strategies and compliant with DFS’s architectural standards
- Involved in the full life cycle of application and platform development, including design and implementation of build, release, deployment and configuration activities
- Build application and pipelines that enable data scientists and business analysts to easily consume cloud-native services
- Build change control process for deploying data science models into different environments like dev, UAT, Prod
- Develop PoC’s using emerging technologies for real-time and big data analytics.
- Design and support container image lifecycle management systems
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- 6+ years of experience in Data Platform Administration, Engineering, or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 8+ years of experience in Data Platform Administration, Engineering, or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- 5+ years of experience in management and design of integrated build pipelines using continuous integration workflows such as Jira, Git, Jenkins, Docker, Artifactory.
- 2+ years hands-on experience with Linux Containers and container clustering technologies such as Docker , Kubernetes and Open Container Project
- 4+ years experience in Languages/Scripting: Java, various shell flavors bash ,YAML, JSON.
- 4+ years working with container orchestration solutions (Kubernetes / OpenShift, Docker)
- 2+ years Linux/Unix experience including basic commands, shell scripting and solution engineering
- 1+ years’ experience working with PostgreSQL/Snowflake .
- Knowledge of Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) experience using OpenShift by Red Hat.
- Hands-on experience in enterprise application architecture and development skills
- Familiarity with Java development strongly desired; additional skills in Node.js, Spring and Play frameworks, Go, or .NET development are a plus
- Strong experience in Linux/Unix, Redhat/Ubuntu administration
- Hands on experience with AWS services such as EC2, RDS, IAM, Lambda, SNS, SQS, and S3
- Proficient with ANSI SQL
- Experience managing code on Github
- Experience as part of an Agile engineering or development team
- Proven skills in high availability and scalability design, as well as performance monitoring
- Experience with solving problems and delivering high quality results in a fast-paced environment
- Experience working with big data databases
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.