Principal Engineer - Digital Systems (Chicago, IL)
What will your day look like?
You will be responsible for the technical designs and development of digital platforms supporting business applications, systems integrations, cloud services, databases, reporting, or business analytics as required to deliver new business functionality supporting corporate business objectives. The incumbent will solve complex technical problems and guide team in implementation of full .Net stack as well as solutions built on different platforms and technologies requiring one or more of the following: front-end (user interfaces), back-end (APIs), database and DevOps development. The incumbent will possess a holistic view of all products and their interactions to design complex solutions and plan for how new products/features fit into the larger ecosystem. Work requires strategic and analytical thinking, attention to detail and effective oral and written communication skills. General direction is received from Manager, Software Engineering.
Do you see yourself doing this?
- Execute Integration strategy of core systems and digital platforms that interface with Digital Ecosystems (ESB implementations, API frameworks, Cloud Services, etc.).
- Collaboration on UI/UX Digital strategy with a focus on integration of RESTFul API/Microservices.
- Collaboration and co-ordination with Solutions Architects and other Principal Engineers on execution of overall Digital Architecture Ecosystems.
- Define and drive maintenance of DevOps processes, application infrastructure, and cloud services.
- Deliver new capabilities with new technologies (i.e., digital assistants, AI services and Distributed Ledger) that deliver additional value and security.
- Deliver high level designs and prototyping initiatives for web and mobile platforms.
- Define code quality metrics to measure team velocity and quality.
- Ensure technical designs and development achieve established high availability and business continuity strategy.
- Assist in the development and execution of online and mobile strategic plans.
- Provide technical consulting to software engineers during design and development for highly complex and critical business processes.
- Facilitate/lead reviews (walkthroughs) or grooming sessions and demos of technical specifications and program code with other members of the technical team, communicating design, requirements, feature set, functionality and limitations of systems/applications to team and development lead.
- Ensure code base is following Software Development and Security best practices, policies, procedures, and standards.
- Ensure all development follows SDLC practices.
- Working in Cloud technologies (i.e. Azure or AWS) and integration with different Cloud platforms and components.
- Design and development of APIs on API Gateway platform like MuleSoft, IBM or equivalent
- Perform code reviews and coaching to Software Engineers.
- Keep abreast of new technologies that affect web and mobile development to enhance the learning and development of team members.
- Develop engaging user applications and back-end service software across multiple devices.
- Ongoing assessment and improvement of current software platforms and supported versions to ensure company compliance with end-of-life software and databases.
- Build and maintain robust monitoring services and applications to achieve platform reliability goals.
- Ensure key technical design deliverable artifacts are present before development/build phases are initiated.
- Provide guidance and training to other credit union employees to assist in applicable requirements and administration of policy and procedures for web and mobile applications.
Adhere to and ensure compliance of all business transactions with policy and process of the Bank Secrecy Act. Ensures compliance with all applicable state and federal laws, company procedures and policies. Maintains integrity and ethics in all actions and conversations with or regarding credit union members and their accounts; complies with Privacy Act directives
What makes you a great fit?
You'll be a great fit if in addition to the completion of a Bachelor's degree or Master's degree in Computer Science or related field, preferred or an equivalent combination of education, training and 10+ years' experience in Computer Science, Information Technology or a related field, and you have:
- Minimum 10+ years' experience in application development using .NET Framework and cloud technologies like Azure or AWS
- Certified Azure or AWS Developer and/or Solutions Architect is a plus
- Demonstrable expertise and understanding of development process, including specification, documentation and quality assurance required
- Technical knowledge in software development methodologies, design and implementation required.
- Knowledgeable in the following:
- Application Layer Technologies: .NET and .NET Core Frameworks, .Net 5.0/6.0 Framework, MVC Framework, NUnit, mocking techniques using MOQ, MSMQ, NET, ADO.NET, C#, ASP.NET Custom Resource provider, Entity Framework, WCF, ASMX, SOAP, XSLT, XML, WSDL, REST based APIs
- Database Layer Technologies: SSIS, SSRS, MS SQL, Stored Procedures, DTS, Triggers, Views
- Application Security: Security using SSL, Client Certificate Authentication, Windows Authentication using Active Directory programming
- Software Development Methodology: Agile development methodology, SOA Technical Designs, Business requirement gathering, Multi-tier applications with thorough knowledge and experience in each layer, RESTFul Microservices Design and Development, Web Farm environment, Production and Incident Support
- API Gateway/Management Platform: MuleSoft or equivalent
- Mobile Development Technologies: HTML5/CSS3 and related technologies, Apple X Toolkit, Android SDK, mCommerce Application Development, Objective C, Swift, Cross platform development tools (Xamarin), Mobile Device testing, Adaptive/Responsive Front-End Design Patterns
- Content Management and Source Control: SharePoint and Team Foundation Services
- Testing Technologies: Automated Testing using QTP, Web Application security testing using OWASP, Testing APIs using Postman, SoapUI, Microservice e2e testing using RestAssured or equivalent framework
- Content Distribution Network Technologies: Akamai or other competitors
- Microservices frameworks: Any of the major Microservices development frameworks being using in the industry today
- API Gateway/Management Platform: MuleSoft or Equivalent
- Must have excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Solid diagnostic, testing, and problem-solving skills
- Highly effective organizational and time management skills
- Ability to adapt and lead in a fast-paced and high visibility projects with changing environment
When you're happy, we're happy!
As a thank you for joining our team, you'll benefit from:
- Competitive medical, dental, and free vision benefits
- Competitive compensation plan
- Contributions towards gym memberships
- Generous PTO and banking holidays off
Still not convinced?
For more details you can also visit our Glassdoor and LinkedIn profiles.