Principal Engineer - Store Commerce at Nordstrom
Nordstrom is committed to be the leader in Omnichannel retailing. We have long recognized the importance of having strong capabilities in both physical and digital retailing and we continue to innovate on how we can help our customers LOOK THEIR BEST and FEEL GOOD.
As a Principal Engineer, you will be a key member of the Store Commerce Engineering Team, focused on delivering an end-to-end experience for Employee Selling Tools. Our Principal Engineer applies scientific, mathematical and social principles to design, build, and maintain technology products, devices, systems and solutions. This is a strategic position within the engineering discipline, influencing the direction and technology decisions for overall discipline and practice. The scope, responsibility and accountability are at the solution level while driving enterprise-level ambitions and objectives.
A successful candidate will have experience working through ambiguity, helping to define technology requirements with managers and engineers and incorporating customer feedback, as well as identifying potential problems before they become real problems.
A day in the life…
- Communicate performance and plans that require identifying and evaluating trade-offs within or across functions. Continuously develop and optimize frameworks to drive customer value through service, experience, availability, quality and cost
- Partner across functions, building relationships that allow you to influence the strategy, plans and work to improve customer value through service, experience, availability, quality and cost
- Be an active participant in the Design Review process, evaluating and providing feedback on projects and architectures with an engineering focus.
- Apply advanced concepts, theories and principles to create multi-disciplinary innovations and solutions for the most complex or risky business situations
- Contribute to development of new principles and concepts
- Collaborate with and influence team, partners and organization
- Provide thought leadership across multiple organizations to ensure that systems and services are designed, and operating to achieve optimal levels of performance, reliability and sustainability
- Ensure security coding practices and security system fundamentals across multiple organizations
- Demonstrate ability to identify important areas to instrument across multiple organizations
- Identify & interpret KPIs for continuous improvement across multiple organizations
- Strong experience with React a plus
- Experience with AWS or other public cloud platforms
- Experience with Kubernetes or other container orchestration system
- Ability to design resilient and scalable API for web & mobile application
- Evaluating and recommending new and emerging products and technologies
You Own this if you have…
- A STEM, Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in CS, Engineering
- 10+ years of professional experience with demonstrated progression in responsibility
- Experience working directly with technical teams in an agile software development environment
- Demonstrated experience bringing large scale change opportunities to life through storytelling, fact-based orientation, and using advanced analytics to inform complex decision making
- Ability to articulate complex concepts to cross-functional audiences and influence outside technical teams
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities and make things happen in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Creative thinking and problem-solving in the face of ambiguity with limited resources and real-world constraints, and the ability to identify the root cause of complex problems.
- Ability to work independently and with remote teams.
- Advanced knowledge of mobile platform engineering, while applying system and network security, authentication and security protocols, cryptography, application security.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills with the ability to influence through writing
- Experience in reviewing complex systems design/code for best practices and compliance with industry standards
- Experience with diverse operating systems
- Strong and creative problem-solving abilities
- Collaborative, Results-oriented, high energy, self-motivated
- A willingness to partner across all dimensions of Nordstrom to influence, drive, and deliver change
- Analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions
We’ve got you covered…
Our employees are our most important asset and that’s reflected in our benefits. Nordstrom is proud to offer a variety of benefits to support employees and their families, including:
- Medical/Vision, Dental, Retirement and Paid Time Away
- Life Insurance and Disability
- Merchandise Discount and EAP Resources
A few more important points...
The job posting highlights the most critical responsibilities and requirements of the job. It’s not all-inclusive. There may be additional duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job.
Nordstrom will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all legal requirements.
Applicants with disabilities who require assistance or accommodation should contact the nearest Nordstrom location, which can be identified at www.nordstrom.com.
© 2020 Nordstrom, Inc.
Current Nordstrom employees: To apply, log into Workday, click the Careers button and then click Find Jobs.