OneMain is the largest non-bank lender in the United States and a leading consumer finance company.
One of our critical and highly visible initiatives is building and scaling industry-leading digital experiences for our customers via web and mobile platforms. We’re seeking a Principal Engineer to guide building innovative and scalable solutions that will impact millions of customers.
As Principal Engineer, you will have the backing and white space required to build and optimize widely used experiences that will be highly visible in our industry. You will have direct exposure to leaders and digital thinkers across the organization and will be trusted as a subject mater expert in digital engineering.
As, Principal Engineer, Web and Mobile, you will set the standard for engineering excellence at OneMain for our digital teams. You will contribute to the success of the team by ensuring we deliver sound features at a consistent pace on the leading edge of digital lending. You will innovate, adapt, and build lasting and scalable solutions from scratch, recommend adjustments to resolve software issues, improve the functionality of existing software, and ensure that the design, application, and maintenance of software meets quality standards. You are a mentor, guide and trainer for other engineers. You will evaluate the user’s needs, time limitations, and system limitations when developing software. The Principal Software Engineer is an avid and curious learner, who will stay up to date on new technologies and software development practices.
What you will do
- Remain hands-on and lead by example, earning respect as a technical leader by remaining in the details.
- Develop and mentor engineering talent. You will tackle our hardest problems and align the correct tools to solve them.
- Collaborate and consult across the organization with engineers, designers, marketing, and leaders by communicating, developing, documenting and testing software to ensure that the software meets the needs of our end-users and achieves business goals.
- Provide technical guidance to development teams and oversee technical aspects of all projects with our digital applications.
- Plan and guide the evolution of our digital platforms, primarily Ruby on Rails and native mobile.
Experience and skills needed
The ideal candidate understands how to balance perfection with pragmatism as you integrate with and leverage our existing systems as you and your team help build products. We seek the following:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science or equivalent
- 10+ years of knowledge of emerging platforms, UI Frameworks, React Native, Android, iOS, operating system principles, and programming best practices
- 10+years of software engineering experience, including Java, Python, Ruby on Rails
- 5+ years of experience leading large-scale projects
- Strong ability to develop the skills of others on multiple teams by mentoring and influencing on advanced technical issues, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience
- Preferred 5+ years’ experience large scale enterprise database systems
- Preferred 5+ experience in financial services industry, especially consumer lending
OneMain Financial is the country’s largest lending-exclusive financial company. With nearly 1,600 branches across 44 states, we proudly offer safe, affordable and transparent installment loans to millions of hard-working people. Our customers turn to us to meet important financial needs, including debt consolidation, medical expenses, household bills, home improvements and auto purchases. OneMain is constantly innovating to serve customers when, where and how they want by investing in our technical digital capabilities. Our steadfast commitment to doing the right thing extends to our customers, our employees and the communities where we live and work – a mission that hasn’t changed for more than 100 years.
At OneMain, we understand that for our team members to be their best, they need the right opportunities and benefits. Our comprehensive benefits package for full-time and some part-time employees includes health and well-being options for team members and dependents, up to 4% matching 401(k), tuition reimbursement, continuing education, incentive pay, paid time off, paid volunteer time and more.
OneMain Holdings, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action (AA) employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identify, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.