Principal Mobile Software Engineer at VillageMD
VillageMD is changing the trajectory of healthcare by empowering primary care physicians to make informed decisions and engage patients in meaningful ways. We work with thousands of clinicians and healthcare disruptors across the country to build and contribute to our platform to improve patient health while driving down the cost to deliver it. We are also in the midst of building out a state-of-the-art patient digital patient experience for primary care.
We are a mission-oriented organization and are thrilled about the work that we do every day. We’re transparent, collaborative, and relentless in pursuit of our mission, all while doing so with humility and a low ego. We believe that diverse backgrounds and experiences create the best opportunity for innovation and the community that we are creating is greater than any individual.
We’ve built our technology using the best of cloud and open-source technologies to create an open, data-first platform that is enriched with analytical models and modernly connected to internal and external apps. These apps drive clinical decision support, patient engagement, and other facilitators of innovative, information-enriched health experiences.
As a leader of our brand new Mobile Development team at VillageMD, you will drive strategy and execution towards a seamless, inspiring, and efficient patient experience for our new primary care clinic brand, Village Medical. We're in a unique position to impact everyone in primary care from independent, family-owned practices to premier health systems, and all of the patients they serve. Our software aggregates, processes, and delivers rich datasets to improve the effectiveness of primary care for our doctors and patients.
What are examples of work that Principal Engineers might do at VillageMD?
- Invent applications to help enable behavior change for our patients to live a healthier life
- Evangelize the use of mobile to all of our product teams
- Bring design mock-ups to life and create attractive UI’s
- Drive team efficiency and lead by example
- Perform peer code reviews and help us all get better
- Build an automated integration that responds to inbound emails and fires algorithms that send notifications to clinical staff
- Write a react app that visualizes the chronology of a patient’s clinical history
- Work with physicians to design the next generation of EMR interfaces
- Write a Python package to interact with our data platform
- Created a clinical information-enriched application that facilitates a relationship with chronically ill patients who need care when outside the exam room
- Write high fidelity software that is readable, maintainable and scalable
What will make you successful here?
- A passion for problem solving, learning new stacks and tinkering with bleeding edge tech
- A vision to balance speed and maintainability while making build vs. buy decisions
- Unreal levels of accountability and a unique ability to prioritize work
- Focused on the ROI that the new software produces versus building features on a list
- Communicate large scale work and trade-offs to senior stakeholders and users alike
- Challenging the status quo to improve our processes and tools
- A low ego and humility; an ability to gain trust by doing what you say you will do
What you might do in your first year:
- Serve as a Subject Matter Expert for our custom-built, patient-facing mobile applications, including configuration, development, integration and customization of complex solutions
- Manage teams that efficiently solve problems, reviewing/approving code and provide mentoring software design patterns
- Map out a big picture product vision, while striving to improve quality and velocity on the team
- 8+ years of system design and build experience with demonstrated success of commercializing the software produced
- 4+ years developing Mobile applications across the life cycle
- 2+ years in Swift (SwiftUI experience is a plus)
- Experience with a server-side language that is not Node (Java, Python, C#, or Ruby)
- Background in utilizing and integrating 3rd party integrations and application libraries with strict security requirements
- Skilled at building cost effective, high productivity teams regardless of physical location
- Proficient SQL skills
- Track record of successfully executing projects with multiple partners
- Experience using version control systems such as Git and Bitbucket
- BS/MS in computer science, math, engineering, or related field
- An understanding of clinical and financial healthcare data preferred
- Experience working with relational databases that are not SQL Server is a plus
At VillageMD, we see diversity and inclusion as a source of strength in transforming healthcare. We believe building trust and innovation are best achieved through diverse perspectives. To us, acceptance and respect are rooted in an understanding that people do not experience things in the same way, including our healthcare system. Individuals seeking employment at VillageMD are considered without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.