Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
Currently seeking a thoughtful, well-rounded software developer to be part of the Business Technology - Customer Engagement Platform department. In this role, the individual will work in a highly technical agile team which develops mobile apps utilizing the latest Discover platforms for continuous delivery and cloud development. The individual will be required to foster collaboration and provide thought leadership while contributing to the development of modern software.
Develops and maintains mobile solutions to fit business needs. Responsible for analyzing, modifying, and supporting application software. Ensures quality code is delivered through continuous integration, development, and testing. Performs technical design, coding with test automation, support, and documentation of software application modifications.
What you will do
- Responsible for the success of the team’s technical execution and processes.
- Deliver on all product development phases from planning, application development, release, and support.
- Drive product quality through paired programming and test driven development.
- Ensure applications meet security, high availability, and maintainability requirements.
- Develop application code using languages such as ReactJs and React Native frameworks.
- Develop / maintain a CICD pipeline to build, test, and deploy application artifacts.
- Learn new technologies and promote the adoption of new frameworks to gain competitive edge in delivering value to customers.
- Take necessary steps (prioritization, mentoring, and assistance) to enable the team to be a high value, cross-functional, autonomous unit.
- Work directly with business partners to understand business requirements. Work independently or with own team to innovate and advocate for best practices within the team.
- Design complex solutions and lead them from inception to production within the Agile team.
- Write technical requirements and design documents in support of the initiatives in the mobile platforms.
- Maintain highly available systems. Ensure all projects and releases are appropriately tested and risks are mitigated.
How you will do it
- Develops and maintains complex front-ends with a focus on user experience
- Works with key stakeholders to design complex solutions and lead from inception to production creates and maintains devops processes, application infrastructure, and utilizes cloud services (including database systems and models)
- Maintains application software and systems. Ensures all projects and releases are appropriately tested and risks are mitigated.
- Oversees and reviews development activities of team members and contractors.
- Innovates on and advocates for best practices and improved team processes; mentors junior team members
- Supports live systems to ensure business continuity
- Supports technical initiatives and provides input into best practices to team.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology
- 8 years in Computer Science, Information Technology or Equivalent Experience
- In lieu of degree, 10+ years in Computer Science, Information Technology or Equivalent Experience
Bonus Points/Nice to have
- Experience with Mobile app development
- Knowledge of React, Redux, and Frontend application frameworks
- Experience with React Native (or React) app and REST Web Services development
- Expertise in object-oriented design and implementation, and capable of forming a deep understanding of our underlying frameworks and languages
- Experience with Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Understanding of REST Web Services, JSON and Design Patterns using various technologies
- Strong debugging skills with the ability to reach out and work with peers to solve complex problems
- Experience as part of an Agile engineering or development team
- Strong understanding of object-oriented principles with an ability to write clean code
- Strong experience working with a relational database and NoSQL database
- Strong experience with CI/CD pipelines with Jenkins or similar; Git/GitHub; Artifactory
- Proven skills in high availability and scalability design, as well as performance monitoring
- Experience developing and implementing API service architecture
- Experience in working in a cloud environment such as AWS, GCP or Azure.
- Understanding of messaging systems like MQ, Rabbit MQ, Kafka, or Kinesis.
- Strong experience of developing multi-threaded and synchronization application
- Build secure web applications with user authentication
- Understanding of software testing principles and methodologies
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.