Principal Software Engineer (Full Stack) at Discover
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
The Enterprise Technology department is looking for a Principal Software Engineer to work with cloud experts in the Cloud Data Platform team. As part of the CDP team, Principal Software Engineer will develop, secure and enhance cloud solutions. This role will also mentor a team of cloud engineers responsible for building cloud based solutions.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual who has the ability to prioritize well, communicate clearly and has a consistent track record of delivery. Must be able to work across multiple facets of the project and juggle multiple responsibilities at the same time.
- Strong hands-on experience in building platforms and deploying cloud based tools and solutions.
- Strong hands-on experience on AWS architecture, AWS Services and AWS Security.
- Strong understanding of AWS Managed Services.
- Strong hands-on experience on IaC (Infrastructure as code) automation using Terraform & Ansible.
- Strong understanding of performance, scalability, and implementation constraints.
- A strong focus on the end-user experience.
- An API-first mindset.
- Strong hands-on experience with UI Technology/framework such as React or Angular, Node.js, HTML5, CSS3.
- Understanding of microservice encapsulation, scalability, and instrumentation.
- A commitment to strongly-tested CI/CD workflows.
- Strong OpenShift/kubernetes Experience.
- Experience with containerized deployments.
- Experience in building Custom Data pipelines using Airflow and/or similar frameworks is preferred.
- Mentor more junior engineers.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or related field
- 8+ years of experience in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field
- In lieu of degree, 10+ years of experience in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Fullstack Academy, General Assembly or comparable programs may adequately supplement a non-CS bachelor’s degree
- Skillsets (in priority order):
- AWS Managed Services, AWS Security, AWS networking
- Terraform, Ansible, Jenkins
- Python, React or Angular, Node.js
- HTML5, CSS3.
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.