Principal Software Engineer in Test (Relocation Available)
We here at Jellyvision are the proud parents of ALEX®, an interactive employee communications platform that happens to share some DNA (and a sense of humor) with the smash-hit trivia video game YOU DON’T KNOW JACK®, created by Jellyvision's founder. ALEX makes navigating tricky decisions—like choosing and using employee benefits or improving your financial wellness—easier, faster, and more helpful, not to mention entertaining. The success of the ALEX platform has exceeded our wildest dreams, (except for the part right before we woke up where our mom was riding a giraffe), which is why we need talented folks like you to help us help ALEX take over the world…er…continue to grow and succeed.
SO WHAT’S THIS JOB ABOUT?
We’re looking for an experienced principal Engineer in Test to develop and own our test automation strategy and standards. We have an amazing QA engineering team that is hard at work writing automated tests based on tests cases and requirements provided. The principal Engineer in Test would create test standards and provide direction for our engineers throughout the tech organization.
That breaks down something like this:
- Review our current frameworks, repos and automated tools looking for improvement and enhancement opportunities
- Architect new automation frameworks as needed
- Create and enforce test standards throughout our tech organization
- Implement automated testing tools to support application and infrastructure testing
- Implement a workflow for turning manual test cases into automated scripts
- Design and own standards for QA repositories
WHAT KIND OF SKILLS SHOULD I HAVE?
Education - A Bachelor's Degree
Leadership – You are an expert in your role and the team and/or products you’re working on. You educate others on quality assurance and test automation best practices, and share that knowledge and experience with others outside of your direct team. As a leader, you work to develop the skills of other engineers and analysts. You provide leadership in the execution of automated test scripts and test environment issues. You will collaborate with tech leaders on test automation as we define the vision and milestones towards Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment.
A great communicator – You have excellent oral and written communication skills. You make sure your team and other teams are clear on expectations and next steps. You manage your own priorities and provide input and collaborate with others on our test automation vision and roadmap.
Experience - You have worked on quality and application teams in an agile environment. You have set and enforced test standards for unit and automated tests. You are aware of new features and frameworks and are proactive about bringing information to the tech organization. You don’t just automate tests as requested. You design tests for scale, look for automation opportunities and work closely with teams to help them identify these opportunities as well. You’ve set up processes for monitoring tests and have a process to proactively update tests in parallel to application updates. Ideally you have worked in an organization that accomplished continuous integration and continuous deployment. Bonus if you have experience with security and performance testing.
ANYTHING ELSE? We share a commitment to excellence and a desire to work in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere, so we only hire nice, bright, funny people who are willing to work hard. Our credo is a simple one: be helpful. And we think we can be most helpful if our workforce is as diverse in thought, perspective, and culture as the people who use our products. We are looking to add amazing folks to our team who will bring diversity across many lines, including race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, sex, and country of origin.
Jellyvision is willing and able to relocate the right candidate to Chicago for this position.
ARE THERE ANY PERKS? Yes, we love perks.
- Competitive pay, 401(k) with matching and benefits. We pay 100% of the cost of premiums for medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance for our employees (as long as you qualify for our tobacco-free discount; if you’re a tobacco user, your medical premiums will be higher than $0). We also cover a really nice chunk of the cost of premiums for spouse/dependent medical, dental and vision insurance.
- Casual dress and a flexible schedule. Come in a sweatshirt, jeans, whatever, like everyone else here.
- Creative work environment. We are lucky to work in a place that is full of intelligent, talented and innovative folks. Although most hours the place is deathly quiet (we're a focused bunch), this is punctuated with hilarious outbursts and general merriment, which makes a nice way to spend the day.
- Charitable match and events. Like giving back? Like eating dips/baked goods and listening to music? JV matches up to $100 per employee to a single charitable organization once every calendar year! We also find fun ways to give back as a community to a variety of organizations that are important to us, by putting on charitable events such as bake sales, dip fests, battle of the bands, where all the money collected by our people goes to the organization that is being promoted! Giving back is important to us, so why not do it in a way where we can eat goodies?
- Free food. Every week, we stock our kitchen with free healthy snack foods, and we have a catered lunch every other week to give people a reason to hang out and eat together.
- Easy transportation and lots of love for folks who bike to work. We’re really close to the North/Clybourn red line stop and the Halsted (#8) bus (right by the Apple Store and Mega Whole Foods too), and we have a transit FSA that allows you to dedicate pre-tax dollars to public transportation expenses. A number of our employees like to bike to work, so we also have bike storage, showers and lockers in the office. And for those without their own bike in the city, we offer free divvy memberships – complete with Jellyvision bike helmets you can borrow from the office.
- Did we mention our yoga and meditation classes? We bring a pro instructor right to the office. Fully subsidized by Jellyvision and fully optional, btw.
- Oh! And we have a massage chair. Not just any massage chair, my friend. It’s the Renew 2 Zero-Gravity Massage Chair by Brookstone®. Feeling a little stiff? Sit down. Relax. Feel better? Good. Okay, back to work.
Thanks for your interest in Jellyvision!