Principal Software Engineer at Fast Radius
| Chicago | Remote
Sorry, this job was removed at 11:37 a.m. (CST) on Thursday, February 18, 2021
We believe manufacturing is important not only for what it makes, but for what it makes possible for the world. Manufacturers have an important job to do, and it is our job to provide them with the technology and expertise they need through the entire production process, from discovery and design to manufacturing and fulfillment.
What we are looking for:
As a Principal Software Engineer you will be taking ownership of technical architecture, accuracy and code quality across multiple technology stacks, and you will oversee development across Fast Radius software platform. You are a contributing decision maker about what technologies to use, how software should be architected, and what the technical direction of certain parts of platforms will be.
Responsibilities & Outcomes:
- Provide application-wide leadership on decision making about technical application architecture with the viewpoint of meeting business requirements at the lowest total application life-cycle cost for the related business value added.
- Perform detailed design and prototyping in accordance with the product vision.
- Advise our application teams– providing guidance on development practices and technical designs.
- Identify areas in applications for refactoring and improvement and work in collaboration with the Chief Product Officer to establish a roadmap of application-specific architectural improvement.
- Assist application Product Owners in prioritization of architectural work on the code base.
- Work closely with the Product team and VP of Software to estimate large efforts and guide long term decisions about how to implement new features and functionality.
- Mentor and guide developers to improve their coding practices via code standards, unit testing, secure coding practices, design patterns, code reviews, pair programming and other best practice activities as necessary.
- Conduct skills development efforts when new technologies are introduced.
- Pay particular attention to: Application security best practice implementation in our applications. Architecture and technology capability with agile processes and tool chains “lities” – quality, stability, productivity, scalability, usability and maintainability.
- Inspire and excite people internally around the technology vision and plans.
- Work with DevOps group and application teams to streamline build and release processes via architectural modifications
- 10+ years of relevant professional experience.
- Proven understating of data architecture patterns such as Lambda, Kappa, Event driven Architecture, Data as a Service, Microservice etc.
- You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- We’re looking for people who live to learn new technologies and use them on new projects! You should be excited to build tools that scale for massive growth and a rapidly evolving business environment.
- You have advanced knowledge of more than one programming language and deploying to AWS infrastructure.
- Iterative Design and Development. You think an MVP is the best way to make a point. You strive to prove that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time, but neither to an extreme.
- In addition to having an intimate knowledge of the software stack, you understand how all the pieces fit together (API, database, network layer, etc.) and how they impact the performance of your product.
- Strong architecture chops. You know how to build highly scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant services that support our unique rate-of-growth requirements. You stay up-to-date with the latest architectural trends.
- You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code "released" until you’re confident it’s correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
- Design and business acumen. You understand the requirements of a high-growth business. Whether you’re working on an API used by other developers, an internal tool used by Fast Radius teams, or a feature used by customers, your attention to details leads to a delightful user experience.
Every day you can expect to work in an inclusive environment that makes excellence possible, where great work and ideas matter more than seniority. We believe in experimenting fearlessly and learning from our failures—quickly. Our leaders have grown successful companies before, and they understand that businesses thrive when capable people have the freedom to solve problems without constraints.
We want you to come to work happy, healthy, and balanced so you can expect excellent benefits:
- Competitive compensation and bonus structure
- Comprehensive health care including dental and vision
- Generous vacation policy as well as a 401K plan
Fast Radius is proud to be an equal opportunity employer because diverse perspectives make for better products, better processes, and a better company. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, Veteran status, or other protected status.
Read Full Job Description