Principal Software Engineer at Peapod Digital Labs
Store Code: NCF Development (27544)
What’s Our Dish
Announced in May 2018, Peapod Digital Labs (PDL) is an Ahold Delhaize USA company that powers the eCommerce and digital strategies for the Great Local Brands of Ahold Delhaize USA. Accelerating growth in digital and personalization capabilities, PDL is an innovation lab focused on meeting the changing needs of customers, regardless of when, where, and how consumers choose to shop.
Browse the Aisles-
Our team is leveraging the latest emerging technologies to craft the next generation software core of Peapod Digital Labs’ eCommerce and order fulfillment infrastructure. As a Principal Engineer, you will lead efforts to build out our suite of highly efficient and performant web services as well as web and mobile applications, used to streamline the process of turning orders into high-quality products in the hands of our customers.
Recipe for Success - What's “in store” for the role
- Provide end-to-end solution architecture and design for complex projects to be utilized by lower-level Solution Engineers
- Works with Architecture and Special Directors to produce System Designs
- Define, design, develop, and implement application-level architecture hosted in the Azure cloud and on premise on critical core component deliverables
- Develop POC projects to prove out the feasibility of an approach or technology
- Work backwards from the customer translation complex functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture and design that is stable, scalable, and resilient
- Provide consulting / direction to solve business problems or needs arising from everyday events or unexpected / catastrophic events. This includes recognizing the problem, resources needed to resolve as well as managing the process needed for proper completion, including executive management updates as required
- Leading small teams (2-3 developers) to implement the critical components of the project and provide management status reports
- Identify business needs and make suggestions regarding technical direction
- Stay current with the latest software trends and emerging technologies and recommend opportunities for innovation
- Establish development standards with help from development managers and performing engineers
- Influence and inspire the strategic direction of the product portfolio and development practice
- Makes sound business decisions regarding how technologies will be implemented
- Makes recommendations to management and is heavily influential in the decision-making process
- Mentor and groom developers to master modern technologies and enhance business domains
- Coordinate & facilitate cross-domain teams communication and resolve solutioning conflicts
The Essentials in Your Cart - The required ingredients
- A senior software engineer with 8-12 years of experience
- Master in core technologies: Java, Spring, RESTful API, messaging frameworks, container-based development (Docker), Elastic Search, Relational Database (PostgreSQL), NoSQL (Azure Cosmos DB or Cassandra) and event driven architecture solutions such as Kafka
- Expert in designing, developing, and implementing the complex projects using Azure Cloud computing technologies - Azure AKS, Azure APIM, Azure Cosmos DB, Azure SQL Database, Redis, Istio, and Azure AD
- Solid experience in implementing Microservices Architecture and building / deploying highly automated, scalable, and maintainable infrastructure
- Proven expertise in modernizing legacy applications to modern technologies in Azure cloud
- Proven expertise and experience in crafting a sophisticated network of microservices which can handle high TPS (transactions per second) traffic with low latency. This experience is essential as we embark on implementing transaction processing microservices, which can process millions of transactions daily, in a highly efficient manner
- Expertise in migrating legacy databases (e.g. Informix) to modern databases – Open-source databases such as PostgreSQL
- Knowledge of Continuous Delivery process and tools, testing frameworks and practices (preferably GitHub, Jenkins, etc.)
- Azure Solution Architect Certification is preferred
Extra Spices - What you should bring to the table
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent.
- Capable of navigating across a sophisticated and rapidly changing landscape by staying on top of the latest trends
- Creator, a doer, and a disruptor who will help us seek solutions to problems and meet customer needs. You will be helping us build completely new capabilities, taking an idea and crafting rapid prototypes while learning from real-time feedback
- Able to foster efficient communication in a team environment
- Experience with Jira and Agile development methodology
- Thorough understanding of the business strategy, operations, markets, and key stakeholders.
- Possess an innate desire to produce quality work. Have the desire and ability to trace issues to their source-even when those issues lie outside the boundaries of the code.
- Strong communication skills and technical expertise to drive and participate in substantial discussions with partners across business roles and skillsets
- You care about cycle time and use CI/CD practices and tools to rapidly deploy changes to customers while minimizing risk
- Preferred you have grocery industry experience
Join Us at Our Table
Peapod Digital Labs is a forward-thinking company with a strong legacy of innovation. We recognize who powers our progress – our people! We offer a great variety of benefits and perks to our employees, including: great health care options, including PPO and HSA plans (with company contributions), dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, a 401k with strong company match and immediate vesting, and generous and flexible paid time off.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to sex, race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, religion, age, marital status (including civil unions), military service, veteran status, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, legally recognized disability, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Requisition: 8843_external_USA-IL-Chicago