Principal Software Engineer at Morningstar
Technology drives our business. Our team is made up of talented software engineers, infrastructure engineers, leaders and data experts. We care about technology as a craft and a differentiator. We bring our global products to market by marrying our world class IP with cloud based technology solutions
Our Product Groups:
Enterprise Data Products - Building common infrastructure and libraries that is used by various Morningstar products to provide analytics on various managed investments, client portfolios and model portfolios.
At Morningstar, helping investors is what brings us together and drives our work. You will have product ownership and responsibility for ensuring process and quality adherence through peer reviews, code reviews, test coverage and best practices. You will act as the software guardian, owning non-functional requirements, architectural direction, and the quality of the code while addressing technical debt. Every day, you'll work with team members across disciplines developing products for investors. You'll interact daily with our product managers to understand our domain and create technical solutions that push us forward. We want to work with other engineers who bring knowledge and excitement about our opportunities. These positions are based in our Chicago office.
- Build well designed, well engineered, stable, scalable products across a variety of markets
- Architect and develop highly scalable API's using REST principles.
- Enforce good Agile practices (using JIRA) including test-driven development and continuous integration.
- Apply DevOps practices in area of continuous and automated deployment.
- Analyze and remediate production issues, and build instrumentation and operational readiness into the systems architecture.
- Solve investors' problems with technology, understanding market chaos at work and crafting technically appropriate interactive experiences to communicate effectively with individual investors.
- Be passionate about quality, process, programming, and investing in general, seeing opportunities for improvement, seizing them, and then sharing your findings with others.
- Experience in AWS cloud technologies
- Take ownership of the success of the team with a ""gets things done"" attitude; the ability to understand and leverage new technologies, potentially wearing many hats including business analyst, DBA, QA, and project manager.
- Help to shape product vision.
- A bachelor's in Computer Science or related, plus 12 years of experience leading software application development.
- Wide experience across programming languages (Java, Python)
- Wide experience in using AWS computing , storage , database and security technologies
- Experience in OLAP, OLTP and Data Warehouse solutions
- Experience in implementing AWS cloud first architecture
- Experience in messaging technologies ( Kafka, Kinesis)
- Familiarity with the Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) secure coding practices
Nice to have
- Familiarity with the financial services domain (accounts, portfolios, holdings, returns, performance streams, traded instruments, etc)
704_MstarAusAsiaPtyL Morningstar Australasia Pty Limited Legal Entity