Principal Software Engineer
VillageMD is changing the trajectory of healthcare by empowering primary care physicians to make informed decisions and engage patients in meaningful ways. We work with thousands of clinicians and healthcare disruptors across the country to build and contribute to our platform to improve patient health while driving down the cost to deliver it.
We are a mission-oriented organization and are thrilled about the work that we do every day. We’re transparent, collaborative, and relentless in pursuit of our mission, all while doing so with humility and a low ego. We believe that diverse backgrounds and experiences create the best opportunity for innovation and the community that we are creating is greater than any individual.
We’ve built our technology using the best of cloud and open-source technologies to create an open, data-first platform that is enriched with analytical models and modernly connected to internal and external apps. These apps drive clinical decision support, patient engagement, and other facilitators of innovative, information-enriched health experiences.
What are examples of work that Engineers have done at VillageMD?
- Created a clinical information-enriched application that facilitates a relationship with chronically ill patients who need care when outside the exam room
- Wrote high fidelity software that is readable, maintainable and scalable
What will make you successful here?
- A passion for problem solving, learning new stacks and tinkering with bleeding edge tech
- A vision to balance speed and maintainability while making build vs. buy decisions
- Unreal levels of accountability and a unique ability to prioritize work
- Focused on the ROI that the new software produces versus building features on a list
- Communicate large scale work and trade-offs to senior stakeholders and users alike
- Challenging the status quo to improve our processes and tools
- A low ego and humility; an ability to gain trust by doing what you say you will do
What you might do in your first year:
- Serve as a Subject Matter Expert for our custom-built, Salesforce-enabled workflow and engagement products, including configuration, development, integration and customization of complex solutions
- Manage teams that efficiently solve problems, reviewing/approving code and provide mentoring software design patterns
- Map out a big picture product vision, while striving to improve quality and velocity on the team
- 8+ years of system design and build experience with demonstrated success of commercializing the software produced
- Experience with a server-side language that is not Node (Java, Python, C#, or Ruby)
- Background in utilizing and integrating 3rd party integrations and application libraries with strict security requirements
- Skilled at building cost effective, high productivity teams regardless of physical location
- Proficient SQL skills
- Track record of successfully executing projects with multiple partners
- Experience using version control systems such as Git and Bitbucket
- BS/MS in computer science, math, engineering, or related field
- Full-time Salesforce engineering experience is a huge plus
- An understanding of clinical and financial healthcare data
- Experience working with relational databases that are not SQL Server
- Prior involvement in an enterprise-grade, custom built application on Salesforce.
At VillageMD, we see diversity and inclusion as a source of strength in transforming healthcare. We believe building trust and innovation are best achieved through diverse perspectives. To us, acceptance and respect are rooted in an understanding that people do not experience things in the same way, including our healthcare system. Individuals seeking employment at VillageMD are considered without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.