Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.Job Description
Who are we looking for?
A leader with business and technical savvy, who can work closely with initiative and product owners, to define, drive, and support the architectural roadmap for the Deposits value stream while guiding the delivery of new capabilities, application features and continuous system improvement. The value stream architect (VSA) will have expertise in and advise teams and product management on the adoption of new technology platforms, tools, and methodologies.
What is the Deposits Value Stream at Discover?
Discover Bank is a direct bank with credit cards, consumer loans, and deposit products. Deposit products include, checking, certificate of deposit, money market, and online savings accounts. The Deposits value stream is an agile release train that supports the business initiatives and maintenance of these products.
What does the tech enablement team do?
Value stream architects work with the tech enablement team to define and deliver architectural runway for feature delivery teams. The team enables and supports all other release train teams by optimizing delivery, improving system performance, and aligning application developers to a common architectural roadmap. The roadmap includes modernization of legacy apps using cloud native APIs, Spring Boot, a CI/CD pipeline, test automation, and other common industry frameworks.
What are the top two challenges for the team?
- Modernization. Discovers Bank’s digital presence relies on a blend of monolithic apps and modernized microservices. Many of the apps are not built to support the future. Both new and existing capabilities need to be built using modern development and operational frameworks that can run in a cloud environment. The roadmap for modernization includes continuous integration pipeline components that will automate testing and other quality checks which provide a feedback loop for continuous improvement.
- Prioritization. The company has ambitious growth goals for deposits which drive many competing initiatives. There is also significant technical debt that must be retired. The VSA has major role in working with product management to estimate and prioritize work that will align to technology and business goals.
What else should you know about the team?
- You will join a cross-functional team, with expertise across the Banking software stack
- The team has established processes, but is continuously improving and open to new ideas
- The team values collaboration and recognition
- Specify technology enablers that facilitate reproducibility, quality improvement, user productivity and artifact traceability via process improvement, tools, automation and adoption of industry best practices
- Understand the customer journey, business objectives and long-term goals of the value stream
- Understand and promote modernization objectives, architectural and applicable technology roadmaps
- Identify and communicate future technology enablers
- Empower the team through coaching to become cross-functional and autonomous
- Provide strategic oversight and technical direction to multiple agile teams
- Collaborate with other VSAs and enterprise architects to ensure applications are following overall architectural direction
- Work with ARB/DARB to review and obtain approval for proposed designs
- Provide high level estimate for business features through IVS reviews
- Defines the target architecture for the Value Stream, taking into account scalability, simplicity, and supporting business growth as defined within the Value Stream.
- Provides architectural governance and helps create a technical roadmap for the Value Stream.
- Establishes relationships with Business and BT Value Stream participants in order to provide technical solutions to meet user needs and influence strategic initiatives
- Serves as a technical coach and mentor for junior team members of the Value Stream. Act as Product Owner for technical initiatives/features that drive technical capabilities.
- Provide insights and guidance to Product Management group on initiative and feature complexity and impact assessment
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Business Computer Systems, or related technical field
- 2+ years Software Development or related
- 2+ years building and implementing model-driven, business solutions and applications or related
- In lieu of education experience 6+ years software development or related
Bonus Points If You Have:
- 6+ years of software development experience
- Masters in Information Technology or related
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with large scale, high performance systems
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.