QA Automation Architect at Morningstar
The Team: Fueling the technologies that drive our products and support our company's infrastructure, the Technology team consists of talented developers, network architects, and IT experts who help make technology one of Morningstar’s core strengths. Though our technologists represent a range of skills and knowledge bases, they all view technology as a craft and care deeply about creating positive user experiences. From Agile methodologies to mobile applications, to software as a service (SaaS) delivered from our private cloud, we push technology's boundaries to build scalable, elegant solutions that help investors reach their financial goals.
The Role: In this role, you will lead the Quality Assurance Automation effort for all of Morningstar. An ideal candidate will be a self-starter with a minimum of 12 years of experience working in software development and who understands business goals to create scalable, flexible technical testing frameworks that evaluate the product’s ability to meet these goals. This role will provide technical direction and oversight of test automation and ensure modern software testing practices are being applied with rigor equally and consistently across the products and functional teams. We look for candidates who possess the ability to motivate the team and cultivate a culture of high energy to help in achieving software engineering excellence. This position is based in our Chicago office.
- Acts as a practice manager by supervising the QA team members to follow strict quality assurance automation principles and use various and appropriate testing strategies throughout the software development cycle
- Directs, plans, and guides the automation team to conceive and implement test automation requirements and ensures the creation of quality automation test strategies for functional and non-functional testing
- Performs risk assessment on application and product quality upon release and/or when needed
- Coordinates with product managers, project managers, technical managers, network/IT and operations
- Attends and conducts testing technical training across various teams
- Advocates and drives for both process quality as well as product quality with all stakeholders of the product development teams
- Builds and cultivates a Quality team through solid hiring process, continuous improvement of current members, and solid performance management
- Prepares quality metrics documentation and reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing information and trends in software development and production
- 12+ years of software quality assurance leadership and management experience
- Exceptional communication and leadership skills. Experience managing large distributed teams.
- In depth working understanding of Agile principles.
- Solid experience working with modern test automation technologies such as Selenium/Webdriver, TestNG, Junit, CI.
- Demonstrated working experience with cloud technologies like AWS or Azure.
- Knowledge or exposure to testing strategy planning around cloud computing and risk-based testing
- Able to demonstrate prior experience with quantitative skills and software quality metrics
- Ability to manage and mentor test team members in multiple offshore locations
- Proven ability to build a highly functioning Quality organization.
- Experience with IT industry standard tools for defect tracking, test case management, automation, source code control, and various website tracking and monitoring tools.
- Financial and investing knowledge is a big plus
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related fields is required.
001_MstarInc Morningstar Inc. Legal Entity