We are dscout. At our core, we are People Nerds. We empower our customers to meet the people who matter to them in the moments that matter most. Customer-obsessed companies and agencies like Salesforce, Sonos, Groupon, and Best Buy use dscout to build better products and services because of people like you. We are building a smart and driven team, and we would love for you to join us.
Our platform is built on cutting edge technology with React.js frontend and Elixir backend tied together by GraphQL APIs with a small part done in Ruby/Rails and REST APIs. We make heavy use of PostgreSQL and Redis for our storage needs and we host our platform on Heroku. Another core part of our offering are two mobile apps - iOS and Android - that are written in Swift and Java respectively. We also employ WebRTC, Twilio, and Websockets for live video streaming and use Python for NLP and video / audio processing.
Eight years and 45K commits later, we've maintained a tidy code base that is well documented and battle tested by tens of thousands of users.
We are looking for a Quality Assurance (QA) Engineer to bring their passion for and experience in QA to our Engineering team. You will be supporting dscout in the development and delivery of innovative, qualitative research software products. You will be working in a fast-paced, agile environment; interacting with a variety of leading development tools and languages; and learning advanced development, QA, and product delivery best practices. You will work in a cross-functional product team made up of QA, engineers, designers, and PMs. Your expertise in writing test cases, documenting results, and providing feedback will lead you to become an expert in the dscout platform. You will also be working with engineers to troubleshoot issues that may arise with internal or external users. If this sounds exciting, we would love to talk with you!
what you will do
- Demonstrate curiosity. You want to understand products inside and out. You're interested to learn how code works so you can test and troubleshoot better.
- Be an advocate for quality on your team and beyond
- Independently create rigorous test plans based on the business requirements provided
- Write automation tests in partnership with our engineering team
- Champion an agile software process where QA is an integral part of successful software development
- Work closely with your product manager and engineers to develop acceptance criteria for feature stories
- Identify and track bugs and share out quality statistics
- Act as the QA resource for one of our internal product teams
- Break down technical lingo to interface with other internal teams (Sales, Success, Studio/Consulting) and help them achieve their goals
what you need to have
- 2+ years experience in software quality assurance, software engineering, or a similar field
- Basic experience with programming (any language) and/or automated testing
- A strong desire to learn further and write automated tests
- Experience with agile SDLC, CI/CD, and SaaS environments
- Experience with testing of web-based applications
- Detail oriented with excellent communication and project management skills
Note: As a result of COVID-19, the dscout team has decided to work remotely for the time being. However, we are now interviewing, hiring, and onboarding remotely for all open roles! While our office is temporarily open for teammates who feel comfortable coming in, no current or future employees will be required to come back into our office until (at least) July of 2021.
what we provide
Here at dscout, we are a team of passionate research, sales, technical, marketing, design, success, and operations professionals. We are driven by the power of research—how in-context insights from real people can build products and services that are more people-centric. We value learning, sharing, and building. We deeply value being a diverse and inclusive team and company, and we are looking for team members who align with that belief. We are proud of what dscout is today and we are excited to build our future with you.
In addition to joining a smart and passionate team, you will get:
- A strong compensation package with bonus structure. Your success is tied to company success. We are all in this together.
- An incredible set of core benefits as well as a 401k with match, solid PTO policy, and generous company holidays. We are committed to supporting our team.
- Exposure to the inner workings of a growing company, including open, transparent communication within our team. You will know what is happening and why it matters.
- An education stipend. We are committed to helping build your future.
- A beautiful workspace along the Chicago Riverwalk, that is temporarily open for teammates who feel comfortable coming in and working from there. Read more about our new office space here!
dscout is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. We do not discriminate based on identity- race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender identity and expression, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged or sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.