QA Engineer at Tock
Tock is changing the way restaurants, wineries, and culinary event organizers run their business and how guests explore, discover, and book at these places all around the globe. This includes a robust reservation, guest, and table management system for businesses of all sizes.
Nick Kokonas and Chef Grant Achatz opened Alinea to international fanfare in 2005–now a perennial Michelin three star and widely considered one of the best restaurants in the world. For years they were spending $140,000 a year on staff dedicated to managing reservations and losing an average of $260,000 a year on cancellations. Knowing there had to be a solution to this problem, Nick started work on a new reservation system. The homemade platform was a success. Soon after, Nick founded Tock with Brian Fitzpatrick, founder of Google's Chicago engineering office, to turn his simple idea into a robust platform and change the way people dine around the world.
Tock’s explosive growth (as of January 2020):
- Awarded Built In’s “2020 Best Places to Work”
- Announced Tock’s platform will be powering JP Morgan Chase’s new Dining Program
- Won Chicago Tribune's "Game Changer" Award for industry innovation
- Reached a global customer base of 30 countries operating in 200+ cities
- Processed over $705 million in prepaid reservations
- Featured in: New York Times, Bloomberg, GQ, Vice, Wired, Food & Wine, Eater, Skift Table, Chicago Tribune, Crain's Chicago Business, New York Post, and more
- Named one of 2019's 50 Startups to Watch
About the position
We’re looking for a QA Engineer to join our team to help build fast, easy and beautiful tools for thousands of restaurants. As a QA Engineer, you will work directly with the product designers, software engineers, and support engineers in the team to test the product; develop and maintain test cases. You will bring to the team industry best practices around functional, and regression testing and ensure high-quality and high-velocity product launches.
People who do well on this team are self-motivated with a passion for the problems we’re out to solve and how technology can help. We look for individuals with a deep knowledge of quality assurance methodologies and those who are ready to champion our web-based and mobile-first philosophy. Our team is pretty small (almost a dozen engineers and a few designers), and undergoing exponential growth, so there's a great opportunity for you to make a difference.
What you will be doing
- You will review functional requirements with the Business/Operational team to ensure completeness and to remove any ambiguity.
- You will collaborate with Business, Operations, Developers and Designers to develop effective testing strategies for the product.
- You will build and maintain the test suites and ensure high-velocity, high-quality production pushes using manual tests.
- You will analyze automated test results and determine if it’s a defect in the product or in the test code.
- You will assist account management and support teams in reproducing customer issues.
- You will manage and track product defects and provide reports to product leads.
- You will adhere to all guidelines around handling PII and PCI data.
- You will adhere to all guidelines around WCAG 2.1 AA for frontend facing applications.
- You will be a generalist who will work on multiple products as needed, whether it is our customer-facing dashboard or guest-facing consumer site.
- You will contribute to core team culture and contribute code to efforts across a fast-growing company.
What we’re looking for
- At least 3 years of experience as a QA Engineer. Understand all parts of a modern web-based application stack from Frontend, Backend to Production.
- A self-motivated individual who works well with little direction
- Enjoys being part of a team that works and learns together
- Has excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Prefers to experiment and use data to drive decision making
- Loves making and building things as part of a growing team
- Experience with Selenium (Java) and TestNG would be a plus
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- Full benefits (medical, dental, vision), 401k
- Paid time off
- Paid parental leave
- Free daily lunch
- Stocked kitchen and nitro coffee on tap
- Sunny office in Chicago's West Loop neighborhood
Please submit your resume and cover letter, letting us know why you're interested in Tock, using the link below.