Ruby on Rails Engineer
What we are looking for:
We looking to make an addition to our awesome team who has experience working in the Ruby stack and someone who is excited to help us build the next generation CityBase platform. As part of an agile, highly capable development team, you will work with our product team to define and implement the future of GovTech. You will gain experience working in Ruby, Elixir, Backbone, React and Vue.
- Build, test, and refine product features.
- Diagnose, document and debug production issues at every level of the stack.
- Participate in code reviews.
- You have 4+ years of professional software development experience.
- You’re experienced with the Rails stack.
- You appreciate and are excited to contribute to a humane, mutually respectful work environment.
- You take deep pride in your work, but can make peace with shipping code that’s “good enough.”
- You have excellent communication skills, in writing and in person.
- You understand the value that good design brings to a product.
- You pride yourself on clean, well-structured, and documented code.
- You’re comfortable communicating complex engineering concepts to people of varying technical literacy.
- You are independent and thrive in a startup and low-touch management environment.
If you are curious about the role but the listing doesn't describe you perfectly, we invite you to submit an application.
Nice to Haves:
- You’ve worked on a distributed team.
- You’re comfortable driving at all stages of the product lifecycle, from planning/estimation through shipping and maintenance.
In addition, we will prefer candidates who have expertise in one or more of the following:
- Client-side JS frameworks like Backbone, React, or Vue
- Organizing, maintaining, and enforcing style conventions for CSS
- Adhering to Web accessibility standards (like WCAG 2.0 Level AA or Section 508)
- Comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision, 401(k) (currently no match)
- Flexible Spending Account, Dependent Flexible Spending Account, Pre-tax Commuter Program, company-paid short-term and long-term disability and life insurance
- Unlimited PTO
- Paid parental leave
- A multitude of snacks and beverages
At its best, local government is a unifying force with the power to dramatically improve lives. Govtech-company CityBase is helping smart people build intelligent government, working with cities, counties, utilities, and states to create a place as dynamic as the people who live in it, work in it, and contribute to it. Accessible and responsive, adaptive and efficient, our cloud-based platform is digitizing the city-hall experience and impacting constituents nationwide.
Interested in joining our team of 60-plus innovators at our Chicago headquarters? Check out our current job listings.